Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just a beginner at reloading-but have read extensively and have reloaded a few hundred rounds of 357 mag. with a lee progressive 1000. Up until recently, I have used cci small pistol mag primers, but as you know primers are on the endangered species list. I was able to score some federal primers of the same type but I see that lee doesnt recommend the use of these. No big deal, I figured I would just buy a auto-prime and do them by hand but, again I read that lee does not want you to use federal even with the auto-prime. Obviously safety is a concern, but has anyone had good-bad experience with this set-up? Other ideas? thanks, wrightway.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I had just started priming some .308 cases(with a Lee Autoprimer tool) when the last 99 Federal primers went off in my face. Spent 60 minutes on the emergency room table having plastic and aluminum picked from my eyes. My vision hasn't been the same since. Listen to their advice and be careful.
Steve

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
As the owner of three of the Lee 1000s for years. I have used federal primers for competition use for years. They are the softest primer on the market.

Saying that! I have only blown up my presses about 3 times. Mostly my fault!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am getting a lee 50th aniversary single stage press and kit, i was sold the small pisol primers for my .40 S&W loading. am i going to be ok, im not quite sure what is goin on???

G

·
Follow Lee's advice. They do not want you using Federal primers in their progressive for a reason. And even Dillon issues the same warning. That's good enough for me to only use Federal's in a single-stage press and only feed the primers one at a time.

·
Super Moderator
8,997 Posts
S.B. said:
I had just started priming some .308 cases(with a Lee Autoprimer tool) when the last 99 Federal primers went off in my face. Spent 60 minutes on the emergency room table having plastic and aluminum picked from my eyes. My vision hasn't been the same since. Listen to their advice and be careful.
Steve
Steve, I am not trying to be a jerk, but I am wondering, were you wearing safety glasses? The reason I asked you mentioned plastic got in your eyes and I was wondering if your safety glass failed.

·
Registered
419 Posts
No safety glasses that time but, the blast was hard enough that it would of certainly blown them to pieces if I had been?
Steve

·
Super Moderator
8,997 Posts
OK Steve, I hope your eyes get better.

I was grinding a piece of steal once, and a sliver shot into my eye, I wasn't wearing safety glasses. It didn't hurt to bad, until I went to bed. I could not sleep due to the terrible pain. Went to the ER and the Doc said a sliver of steel embedded in my cornea and started to rust. He got it out and I had two follow up visits to have the rust ring ground out of my eye. It was not fun. The Doc said the eye is the most painful thing to injure due to all of the nerves in it. Now I always wear safety glasses.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hunter, never without them anymore, myself.
Steve

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have used Federal primers in my Lee auto prime, but I only put 20 at a time and always have the plastic top pointing away from me.

Always use eye protection when priming.

·
Administrator
8,453 Posts
Better yet (and I'm not trying to be a wise-guy).. don't use Federal primers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts