Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
18,087 Posts
I like wood grips but they have to both look good and be comfortable for shooting. The overall package has to look proportional too so a given set of grips may be good looking but still not look quite right on a particular gun.
These grips were all made in Thailand and are available on Ebay. These look good on K & L frames with 4 to 6 inch barrels. I think this style would be OK on an N frame too. There are no sharp edges or even any rounded off corners.
There is a good variety of coloration but the dark brown wood type doesn’t come up very often
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel
Wood Bicycle part Art Font Metal
Wood Art Font Hardwood Natural material
Wood Musical instrument String instrument accessory Hardwood Wood stain
Wood Handgun holster Gun accessory Fashion accessory Gun barrel

These are Altamont grips. This style works well on a J frame
Trigger Finger Font Material property Bullet

· Registered
18,087 Posts
jonesy, I’m glad you mentioned the Thai grips. I have seen them and read some good reviews on them. That may just be the route I go. Thanks. I’ve since moved the Eagles to my 5” 625. They came with the 3” 625 and just felt a little big a fit for it. They balance out better on the 5”.
View attachment 588155
I have 7 or 8 sets of Thai grips. All were nicely made and fit great. They are solid hardwood, no plywood, laminate or other wood simulation. I go through and put all of a style i am looking for on my wish list, then go back and compere the ones I picked. Usually out of maybe 5 or 6 set there will be 1 or 2 that have a nice grain pattern, but many are fairly bland. I like an appealing contrast in grain colors if possible. It takes about 3 weeks to get them, but they will show up.
Here is a set that I re-shaped and then refinished. They had too much of an orange tint, but they are easy to work with so I stripped them with acetone, did some sanding then stained and applied Tung oil
Product Tableware Revolver Hunting knife Utility knife

Product Tableware Revolver Hunting knife Utility knife

They often use a clear coat with a red tint. These used to be that way but I stripped stained and tung oiled these too.
The original finish pretty much hid the grain pattern
Revolver Bullet Trigger Ammunition Wood

Revolver Bullet Everyday carry Trigger Ammunition

This is one of the last sets I have purchased. I think I will strip and stain these to give them more of a brown tint similar to how the ones on the model 60 are. Not a lot of grain to bring out on these, but I wanted Bantam sized grips and this is what I could get. They'll look better after a little work on them.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Shotgun Ammunition

Revolver Household hardware Bullet Material property Tool

I don't think any of these were over $65 and most were $40 to $50

1 - 2 of 2 Posts