Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m on the hunt for a set of “wood” grips and I’m just curious what others like. If you could only pick one, which is your favorite wood grip for both form and function? I currently have a set of Eagle grips on a 625 and the only other wood grips I have are magnas and Altamonts. The Eagles are my top choice of the three. I would like to see pics.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

· Registered
3,374 Posts
I definitely have a previous in stock shape. I prefer the Magna style stocks with a grip adapter or Service stocks with a grip adapter,

Here is a Model 1917 Brazilian, with walnut Service stocks and a grip adapter.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Here is a Model 22-4 with checkered walnut Service stocks and a grip adapter.

Air gun Wood Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

A Model 1950 Army with walnut Magnas and a grip adapter.

Air gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

A Model 1917 Commercial with walnut Magnas and a grip adapter.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood

A 455 New Century with aftermarket Service stocks and a grip adapter. The piece of firewood T is laying on may have a few stock panels in it.

Air gun Trigger Wood Revolver Gun barrel

Here is a pair of Magnas I wishI had. Not sure what I would put them on but they sure are pretty!

Gesture Finger Red Human leg Pattern

If I could find a wood carver, I might have to commission a pair!

Kevin

· Registered
589 Posts
So I’m on the hunt for a set of “wood” grips and I’m just curious what others like. If you could only pick one, which is your favorite wood grip for both form and function? I currently have a set of Eagle grips on a 625 and the only other wood grips I have are magnas and Altamonts. The Eagles are my top choice of the three. I would like to see pics.
I have Altamont stocks for most of my S&W's, and the originals for all of them but one. S&W target stocks are just a tad big for my hands, and the Altamont replacements are slightly narrower and have finger reliefs, so they fit me better, plus look nice. Altamont on my M19-3 and M66-1:
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

These were originally what I got when I bought my M57. They look much better on my M25-5:

These are what I found for the M57
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Wood

The M41 looks really nice with a set of Rosewood Altamont stocks:
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

This is the back strap:
Sleeve Wood Liver Human leg Waist

I have Altamont panels for my RIA 1911 .38 Super
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

and for my Ruger SR1911 10mm: Once upon a time, I was a USAF officer.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

These grips are made by Hogue, smooth cocobolo for my Silver Chrome BHP MkIII .40S&W:
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Everyday carry

· Registered
18,112 Posts
I like wood grips but they have to both look good and be comfortable for shooting. The overall package has to look proportional too so a given set of grips may be good looking but still not look quite right on a particular gun.
These grips were all made in Thailand and are available on Ebay. These look good on K & L frames with 4 to 6 inch barrels. I think this style would be OK on an N frame too. There are no sharp edges or even any rounded off corners.
There is a good variety of coloration but the dark brown wood type doesn’t come up very often
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun
Wood Bicycle part Art Font Metal
Wood Art Font Hardwood Natural material
Wood Musical instrument String instrument accessory Hardwood Wood stain
Wood Handgun holster Gun accessory Fashion accessory Gun barrel

These are Altamont grips. This style works well on a J frame
Trigger Finger Font Material property Bullet

· Registered
413 Posts
These are the ones I want for my 1926 3rd model but they've been temporarily unavailable forever. I could get them off ebay for 20.00 more but not doing that. I do loves me some Roper grips tho. I had an original set on a Colt once.

Air gun Trigger Ammunition Bullet Font

· Registered
3,374 Posts
These are the ones I want for my 1926 3rd model but they've been temporarily unavailable forever. I could get them off ebay for 20.00 more but not doing that. I do loves me some Roper grips tho. I had an original set on a Colt once.

View attachment 588140
Hawg,

If it were me, twenty bucks would not keep me from a set of grips. They may never make them again, then what will you do?

Kevin

· Super Moderator
19,645 Posts
For me Magna's over all are my favorites. But the pair I like shooting with is on my favorite wheelgun the model 57.
They are Hogue finger groove, round butt conversion grips, in Goncalo Alves. By far the most comfortable grips I've ever used.
Brown Revolver Trigger Air gun Wood

· Registered
224 Posts
I definitely have a previous in stock shape. I prefer the Magna style stocks with a grip adapter or Service stocks with a grip adapter,

Here is a Model 1917 Brazilian, with walnut Service stocks and a grip adapter.

View attachment 588071

Here is a Model 22-4 with checkered walnut Service stocks and a grip adapter.

View attachment 588072

A Model 1950 Army with walnut Magnas and a grip adapter.

View attachment 588073

A Model 1917 Commercial with walnut Magnas and a grip adapter.

View attachment 588075

A 455 New Century with aftermarket Service stocks and a grip adapter. The piece of firewood T is laying on may have a few stock panels in it.

View attachment 588077

Here is a pair of Magnas I wishI had. Not sure what I would put them on but they sure are pretty!

View attachment 588078

If I could find a wood carver, I might have to commission a pair!

Kevin
Mine aren't as pretty as yours but I have the same preferences as you. I'm also not as good a photographer as you either but I tried posting my revolvers with grip adapters. Those carved grips are wicked nice! I think I'll check with the woman who carved this Celtic Drinking horn to see if she would try doing something like that.
Finger Nail Office supplies Font Art

· Registered
3,374 Posts
Mine aren't as pretty as yours but I have the same preferences as you. I'm also not as good a photographer as you either but I tried posting my revolvers with grip adapters. Those carved grips are wicked nice! I think I'll check with the woman who carved this Celtic Drinking horn to see if she would try doing something like that…
I use a cell phone to capture the images. I try for tight shots and plain backgrounds. It seems to work.

If that lady will carve, let me know. Also, I have a couple more images if those stocks if you would like them.

Kevin

· Registered
224 Posts
I use a cell phone to capture the images. I try for tight shots and plain backgrounds. It seems to work.

If that lady will carve, let me know. Also, I have a couple more images if those stocks if you would like them.

Kevin
I am amazed at the quality of the photos a smart phone can take, but I'm a stubborn coot and can't bring myself to get one. I just can't get the hang of a touch screen either. Thank you for your offer of more photos. Please feel free to send them to me.

· Registered
18,112 Posts
jonesy, I’m glad you mentioned the Thai grips. I have seen them and read some good reviews on them. That may just be the route I go. Thanks. I’ve since moved the Eagles to my 5” 625. They came with the 3” 625 and just felt a little big a fit for it. They balance out better on the 5”.
View attachment 588155
I have 7 or 8 sets of Thai grips. All were nicely made and fit great. They are solid hardwood, no plywood, laminate or other wood simulation. I go through and put all of a style i am looking for on my wish list, then go back and compere the ones I picked. Usually out of maybe 5 or 6 set there will be 1 or 2 that have a nice grain pattern, but many are fairly bland. I like an appealing contrast in grain colors if possible. It takes about 3 weeks to get them, but they will show up.
Here is a set that I re-shaped and then refinished. They had too much of an orange tint, but they are easy to work with so I stripped them with acetone, did some sanding then stained and applied Tung oil
Product Tableware Revolver Hunting knife Utility knife

Product Tableware Revolver Hunting knife Utility knife

They often use a clear coat with a red tint. These used to be that way but I stripped stained and tung oiled these too.
The original finish pretty much hid the grain pattern
Revolver Bullet Trigger Ammunition Wood

Revolver Bullet Everyday carry Trigger Ammunition

This is one of the last sets I have purchased. I think I will strip and stain these to give them more of a brown tint similar to how the ones on the model 60 are. Not a lot of grain to bring out on these, but I wanted Bantam sized grips and this is what I could get. They'll look better after a little work on them.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Shotgun Ammunition

Revolver Household hardware Bullet Material property Tool

I don't think any of these were over $65 and most were $40 to $50

· Registered
99 Posts
I think the Thai stocks are a really good option, especially for newer revolvers where matching stocks to the vintage of the gun is not a big issue. Here is a comparison of a Combat Stocks replica with the S&W factory original.

Ebay/Thai RB Combat stock replica, satin finish, Model 65-5 LS ~1994 (left and front)
S&W SB Combat Stocks made sometime in 1980s, Model 10-1, ~1959 (right and rear)

Revolver Air gun Gun barrel Everyday carry Trigger

I think the satin (probably oil) finish on the replica stock looks good with the matte stainless steel finish on the M65. The dark and glossy finish on the factory combats probably looks better on a blued gun (although not necessarily on the old Model 10).
Revolver Air gun Gun barrel Everyday carry Trigger
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver
Wood String instrument accessory Revolver Musical instrument Carmine

· Registered
413 Posts
Hawg,

If it were me, twenty bucks would not keep me from a set of grips. They may never make them again, then what will you do?

Kevin
I may break down and get them. I keep checking the site now and then. If they say discontinued then I'll get a set off ebay or I'll just keep the originals on it. They're not bad.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts