Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a favorite fixed-blade Buck knife?

Here is an early #102 Woodsman - one of the smallest of the regular-production fixed-blade models. It has the early threaded tang and came with a conventional sheath - rather than the pouch-type of later models. I particularly like it for its small size compared to the other models.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking forward to it!

I only have a few, but I've been a fan of Buck knives for a long time. I consider them to be good, serviceable knives at a fair price - and more durable than most! I'm really pleased to see that some of the other fellows are starting to appreciate lower-cost knives.

Here is another fixed-blade Buck that has seen a lot of use and abuse by me - a #121 "Fisherman". It's a great fish knife, but is especially handy for filleting out the breast meat of geese and sandhill cranes.

It's longer than I like for belt carry, so I usually store it away in my pack until needed. Several times, I dropped it in the dark and lost it. One time it spent over a month on a muddy creekbank in a salt marsh before I was able to return and find it. After that, I put on the red Reflecto-Tape. Now all I have to do is retrace my steps in the dark with a flashlight and it glows like a lamp!

xtm

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that tip, Giz!

Where do you knowledgable fellows get all of this knife information like you passed on about the scaler? I really don't collect knives - I just have a couple of decent ones, and seem to live in a vacuum away from detailed knife knowledge.

I've learned more about a few of my own knives in the weeks since this knife forum premiered than I have in decades of asking in person. You've mentioned this, but I find knife collectors as-a-whole to be a strange lot. I've taken several of mine to gun and knife shows to gather information, but they are quite often very reluctant to give you much information or an idea of the value for fear of spoiling a good buying opportunity. :?

BTW, how much do you think the Buck fisherman is worth?

xtm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.