Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my henry back and it has the tiniest little bright spot on the barrel. Yes I am being obsessive. Anyway ... I have never used a bluing pen and there seems to be more than one. The mark is a touch about the size of a period here " . "

Is there a preferred bluing pen .. should I just leave the damn thing alone?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I am with you. I couldn’t stand to leave it like that. I have always used Birchwood Casey bluing pens. There may be better ones out there but they work for me.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am with you. I couldn’t stand to leave it like that. I have always used Birchwood Casey bluing pens. There may be better ones out there but they work for me.
Its making me nuts .. I didnt want to send it back because I was afraid of rough handling and it came back with a ding in the barrel and a small scratch in the brass receiver ARGH!!! ..

Still working at what to do about the small scratch. I imagine over time more will happen but .. damn .. I would have liked to make them myself.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I agree with you, it must be fixed.

The pens don't seem to match well; too black. I recommend OxPho Blue paste Cold Bluing from Brownells and here's why: you can apply it with the point of a pin or toothpick in a dot just the exact size and shape of the bright spot and it will stay only where you put it. It will not run onto the other bluing to stain it.

Prepare surface by cleaning with rubbing alcohol. And do not take it literally as a 'cold blue', any cold blue works better on heated metal. Heat the spot with a hair dryer as hot as it will get, it can not get hot enough to affect your new blue finish. Then apply blue as described above. Wipe off as directed in instructions. It will look like a bright flame blue color. Don't worry, after 24 hrs it will turn to a deep dark blue. You can re-coat if still not dark enough.

Hope this helps,
Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts