1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Father whose son was killed in 116mph horror crash sues Tesla claiming teenager wouldn't have died if company hadn't removed a speed limiter - and claims quick-spreading fire from car battery caused his death NOT the smash

• Barrett Riley's father James filed a lawsuit in Santa Clara County, California Wednesday, claiming Tesla improperly removed a speed limiter device
  • Father claims Tesla knowingly failed to install safety measures to prevent the 2014 Model S from engulfing in flames after it crashed speeding at 116mph
  • Lawsuit says car owner and his wife Jenny had asked for a device to limit speed to 85mph just two months before the accident after the teen had gotten a ticket
  • The device was installed but later removed when it was taken in for service
  • Motor's battery reignited twice after the fire was extinguished and the family claims it the reason Barrett died, not the impact of high speed collision itself
  • Wrongful death and negligence Lawsuit claims Tesla invented a patent to prevent the 'thermal runaway' they were subjected to but failed to implement it
  • Monserrat's parents filed a similar lawsuit in January
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7558937/Father-sues-Telsa-teen-son-killed-flaming-crash.html

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2019/10/10/tesla-fort-lauderdale-crash-barrett-riley-lawsuit/

Don't worry about the "link" first one that popped up.

I feel sorry that the teen died, however do you think hitting a wall at over 100 mph had something to do with it? He had been ticketed previously for over 100 mph
I don't. A dork is a dork no matter what age. Probably better he removed himself from the gene pool before he killed someone innocent with his acts of stupidity. Pretty obvious to me that his dad was real poor at parenting. Of course being a poor parent today is socially acceptable.

Why is it that people today are sue happy anyway? I hope the court rules against the plaintiff and the dad gets stuck with paying a mouthpiece.. Waste of the legal system IMO.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Aah, nothing like privileged, self-centered teens. :?

·
Premium Member
16,684 Posts
Either gas or electric vehicles operate using systems that generate heat or power, in the case of gas, both. Both can be reasonably expected to catch fire if catastrophically damaged. Any blame for the accident aside, the power for a electric carries a potential source of terrific combustion. Now they will have to figure out how to prevent such a failure in a pack of hundreds of AA batteries. This and the settlement will be paid for by the new owners of these cars. Welcome to the bigs, Mr.T.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Tough for the parents. Some how or other these teenagers never learned to consider the consequences of their actions. Now the parents must live with the results. Sincerely. bruce.
Because SOMEONE ELSE RAISED THEIR KID??? SOMEONE ELSE GAVE HIM A CAR, AND LET HIM KEEP IT AFTER HIS FIRST 100MPH+ RECKLESS DRIVING INCIDENT??

Yeah, I really feel sorry for them.

Either gas or electric vehicles operate using systems that generate heat or power, in the case of gas, both. Both can be reasonably expected to catch fire if catastrophically damaged. Any blame for the accident aside, the power for a electric carries a potential source of terrific combustion. Now they will have to figure out how to prevent such a failure in a pack of hundreds of AA batteries. This and the settlement will be paid for by the new owners of these cars. Welcome to the bigs, Mr.T.
Thermal runaway is a whole other beast. The assertion that Tesla had developed a method for preventing it is bogus, even if Musk claimed they had one. He's a monumental liar.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The South Florida SunSentinel reports that James B. Riley sued Wednesday in Santa Clara County, where Tesla is based. Monserrat’s parents filed a similar lawsuit in January. Both blame the car’s lithium-ion battery pack, which exploded when the Tesla hit a concrete wall.
That is probably true, the batteries probably ruptured and caught fire. Lithium batteries are a fire waiting to happen.

A Tesla statement earlier this year said “no car could have withstood a high-speed crash of this kind.”
That is true too, if you crash a car at 100 MPH, into a solid object, like a wall or oak tree; you stand a good chance of being killed.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
That is true too, if you crash a car at 100 MPH, into a solid object, like a wall or oak tree; you stand an almost complete certainty of being killed.
FIFY ;)

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Just as dead if he hit at 85.
There are ways to control thermal runaway. Lots of different Li-ion chemistries. I'm in that line of work, but I'm not sure what Tesla uses.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Because SOMEONE ELSE RAISED THEIR KID??? SOMEONE ELSE GAVE HIM A CAR, AND LET HIM KEEP IT AFTER HIS FIRST 100MPH+ RECKLESS DRIVING INCIDENT??

Yeah, I really feel sorry for them.

Thermal runaway is a whole other beast. The assertion that Tesla had developed a method for preventing it is bogus, even if Musk claimed they had one. He's a monumental liar.
Went out to eat with good friends last night and had pizza loaded with anchovies too. This morning early I had a 'Thermal Runaway' that was unavoidable...:D

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Parents should have taken the car away from him.Even putting limiter for 85 mph would have killed him. Kid didn't learn his lesson, oh well now he won't hurt anyone else.

·
Super Moderator
31,439 Posts
Should have sued Darwin for weeding one out! The son died because of stupid behavior and knows I would never be picked for such a jury because I would say it. Tesla should countersue for pain and grief of a death because of imbecile behavior in using their product.

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Being a parent of a lost child, I can tell you that day one, the vulture attorneys show up. These parents are being taken for a grief ride by the scumbags... that didn’t work well for them at my home.

I pray they find peace, it’s a long road.. and no $$$ fix anything.

Thewelshm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts