Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was one of those days were everything comes together. My daughter got a rare mid-week day off work, the rain stopped, and for the first time in 2020 we head off to the range together. I treasure those days, but even more so in these weird times.
On our table we had a stainless steel, bull barrel Ruger Mk2 that I had mounted an adapter to so that she could try out an inexpensive red dot and see how she liked it. (Gave it to her last Christmas before the world changed, and this was her first chance to try it out) She took to it immediately and just couldn't miss. I couldn't hit #$%$ with it though, so I'll privately work that out. Weird. We also had her bone stock Glock 19 and my Walther PPQ. The PPQ didn't fit her hand and she was not a fan, but she had a great time with the Glock.
She also got to try my recently acquired Bernadelli 22lr and, like me, she found it a joy to shoot even with the old school minimal iron sights.
It was also her first time shooting steel, as the other ranges were busy, and that turned out to be a blessing. She loved the feedback of the "ding!" and the steel falling or swinging. Somehow, maybe not obsessing on a perfect target, we just had a really fun day.
The final pistol I brought was a surprise for her, and I hesitated to bring it out, as we were on the steel range, with a fixed setup at 15 yards. It was a Walther PPK in 380. She's wanted one for decades. Not a target piece though, and better to try it for the first time at half that distance. Keep in mind that this is Canada, so she has never shot a compact or snubby gun as they are prohibited here. To own a PPK you have to chamber up from the also prohibited 32 to 38, and extend the barrel to 4.2 inches. All paper hoops jumped I had one for her!
So - what the heck, she might as well try it. She was wildly excited, and I loaded four rounds in it for her to try. She did just fine getting a feel for it but didn't hit anything. That's when she got mad. "Load another four!" I could see it in her face and stance. Four shots, four plates drop. "Again". Four shots, four plates. She head for the farther out silhouette target. Same deal. She loved the PPK and it loved her back. She's laughing now. I was amazed, but it was so gratifying to see our training time all come together.
After that her Glock was a piece of cake and she shot even better, and then we cooled out with the Ruger Mk2 for a bit. A solid 2 1/2 hours and a great Father and Daughter Day. Long over due.
Shooting range Gun Sport venue Shooting sport Shooting
Machine
Tree Grass Leaf Asphalt Recreation

·
Registered
15,648 Posts
Good Times! Looks like a great range for fun. I like shooting steel because you get immediate feedback. When you do it right you are rewarded with a PING which helps you muscle memory to learn. With paper you often have to wait a few shots to go look for your results. The immediate feedback from shooting steel will make you all better shooters.

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
There is no better way to spend your time. Well done 'monkey! (y) (y)

·
Registered
21,903 Posts
That time just cannot be beat as the guns were perfect, you and your daughter created some real memories and she has a few very nice guns she has mastered. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
31,473 Posts
Glad you got out and enjoyed some range time. Great times to remember as time passes. Great post/range report.👍👍😎

1 - 7 of 7 Posts