Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new out of the case my Performance Center CORE 5" barrel 9mm has a fire pin issue. This isn't the way to start a relationship with a new gun.

I loaded the mag with UMC 115gr FMJ Round nose ammo. First shot went as planned, but no second shot. I found the second round would not feed due to the back of the case was stopped by the firing pin. I dropped the mag and cleared the round. Reload and tried the two more times with the same results. New gun with only three rounds. I doubt this gun was ever test fired. Not too happy right now with Smith & Wesson. I'll be taking it back to the dealer and I'm sure it will have to be sent back for repairs.

Here is a photo of the issue.

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
You are right, not a good way to start. Sure appears that either the firing pin is binding in the slide or the return spring is either missing or defective. I too would not be very happy with S&W either but they will correct the problem for you. I would include this photo to show what is happening. Keep us posted.

****Just a word of caution, I would not fire it until it has been looked at and repaired by S&W or a qualified gunsmith with firing pin problems. It could result in a slam fire.****

Reactions: scott and Injunbro

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I talked with Smith and Wesson this morning. They sent a shipping label by email and it is on its way back to them. I hope they don't take too long to figure out the problem. I guess I need to be patient. ryperp

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey 9mm,

Most likely a bent firing pin.

Should be a quick fix.

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
Unless there is one fired cartridge case to meet legal requirements in certain states comes with the pistol unless that is no longer required both my examples a MP9 and MP9c came with cases in a small envelope. Out of curiosity did you before live firing the pistol, did you dry fire the pistol?

·
Premium Member
18,775 Posts
Did you clean the gun before firing it?

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Did the firing pin penetrate through the primer?? Did you clean the gun before you shot it?? If you did did you put it back together properly?? Sounds like the firing pin is not retracting. for some reason..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I am enjoying some of your comments. I am not new to firearms, the care or use. I called Smith and Wesson this morning. The rep I talked with emailed a shipping label and it is currently on the way back to the factory. I'll update once there is something to report. For now I am being as patient as one can be.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Smith & Wesson Performance Center has had my Model 929 for a month now. I'm waiting for it. They said they were out of that model but would be making more this week.
Take you time, they will take care of you.:3953tsw:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a tendancy towards the use of Snap Caps to test a new gun, or one that has just been worked on...

Just for giggles, I'd micrometer the UMC ammo, make sure its not too fat...
ya never know, they might have slipped in an out-of-spec batch ;)
Stranger things have happened...

Got used to mic'ing ammo during the Time Of Great Sadness...
Remington Golden Bullets were so screwy-acting that I got bored and mic'd 10 boxes...
found out that RGB's are very possibly the worst quality .22lr ammo ever made...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a tendancy towards the use of Snap Caps to test a new gun, or one that has just been worked on...

Just for giggles, I'd micrometer the UMC ammo, make sure its not too fat...
ya never know, they might have slipped in an out-of-spec batch ;)
Stranger things have happened...

Got used to mic'ing ammo during the Time Of Great Sadness...
Remington Golden Bullets were so screwy-acting that I got bored and mic'd 10 boxes...
found out that RGB's are very possibly the worst quality .22lr ammo ever made...
I appreciate the thoughts and suggestions. The ammo is a box of 250 rounds. Over 100 rounds of it has performed perfectly in two other 9mm guns I own. I am convinced there is something with the firing pin, or the area around it. Maybe machining debris. I was temped to disassemble it, but seeing it is brand new I did not want to give S&W a reason to refuse service. I'll just wait for them to correct it. They received it today.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called S&W today. I'm still at least a week away from having my gun back. The rep told me they have to replace the striker assembly.

·
Premium Member
11,534 Posts
At least they found a problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I received my repaired Performance Center C.O.R.E. 9mm with 5" barrel back from S&W. I put 48 rounds through it. It shoots great! The striker assembly was replaced. It is good to have it back working the way it should. :)

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
That's great news! I'm glad they made it right, now shoot the heck out of it and take some pictures of your results! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, as suggested, I have been shooting my CORE a lot. I mounted an RMR, 3.5MOA version and have it sighted in. It is working well. The only complaint I still have is the trigger. I guess I expected better from a Performance Center CORE pistol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts