Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been two months now and still have not received my letter. Seems to me the letters were faster before they started charging $100. I really do not know the process or if anyone is anyone helping Dr. Jinks. I was told to be patient and it would take 3 months. Back a year or so, I got two letters back in two weeks. Not complaining here, but does anyone know the process? Thanks, Big Larry

·
Registered
18,684 Posts
Have you called and confirmed they got your check and request? The USPS has been swamped since Covid and mail deliveries are taking a lot longer than usual and things are getting "misplaced"

·
Super Moderator
11,369 Posts
In my opinion, the whole thing has bogged down with frivolous requests. You see people all over the Facebook pages talking about lettering run of the mill revolvers. No, that 10-5 does not need a letter.

Lost in the woods... Hopefully.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you called and confirmed they got your check and request? The USPS has been swamped since Covid and mail deliveries are taking a lot longer than usual and things are getting "misplaced"
Check was cashed more than a month ago. I mentioned misplaced to folks on the Blue Forum. I am not a member there, so I cannot get to Dr. Jinks. Thanks Abby's Dad. Big Larry

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my opinion, the whole thing has bogged down with frivolous requests. You see people all over the Facebook pages talking about lettering run of the mill revolvers. No, that 10-5 does not need a letter.

My letter was for a 1956 vintage K22 that has a target hammer and unrelieved target stocks. I mainly wanted to know if the two target accessories were in fact, factory. I paid more to get this revolver with the target parts, and as a collector, I needed to know if they were factory. Correct stocks are of great importance to me. Big Larry

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
I've done three of them.

#1: Sent in 9/26/2017, still waiting
#2: Sent in 3/23/2018, rcvd 4/15/2018 : just under one month
#3: Sent in 4/28/2020; rcvd 6/23/2020 : just under two months

Reactions: Abby'sDad

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
They're generally running around 3 to 4 months.

K22, you should inquire about the one from 2017- that must have gotten lost somewhere.

Reactions: Abby'sDad

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They're generally running around 3 to 4 months.

K22, you should inquire about the one from 2017- that must have gotten lost somewhere.
But why the long wait? Doesn't Dr. Jinks have help? They must be making a fortune if they are swamped with requests.
Winchester letters do not take long. I do not know about Colt. Big Larry

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
But why the long wait? Doesn't Dr. Jinks have help? They must be making a fortune if they are swamped with requests.
Winchester letters do not take long. I do not know about Colt. Big Larry
Feel free to join SWCA and volunteer. And no , there's not that many people helping.

ha,ha, making a fortune- that's rich. (pun intended)

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
I've done three of them.

#1: Sent in 9/26/2017, still waiting
#2: Sent in 3/23/2018, rcvd 4/15/2018 : just under one month
#3: Sent in 4/28/2020; rcvd 6/23/2020 : just under two months
I have been down that road. Check still hasn't cleared so I'm sure it is a lost mail bin somewhere. It was my first one and they are always special.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Feel free to join SWCA and volunteer. And no , there's not that many people helping.

ha,ha, making a fortune- that's rich. (pun intended)
I was a member for many years until I got dinged for telling a guy where to get a box for his K22. All I said was Ebay, and someone got their shorts in a bundle, and gave me a warning. I am too old to play games. Big Larry

·
Premium Member
19,815 Posts
Larry, that was the owner of the site and how it is run. This is separate from the SWCA because they don't run the site or set the rules.

Dr. Roy Jinks recently sold his home, most of his collection and downsized. He has also had some computer problems. He is well into his 80's and I'm really surprised he continues to handle most of these requests. The factory abandoned him and the "factory letters" several years ago and that's why the cost of the letters rose. He does this as a labor of love for the guns and history. I do hope that the Assistant Historian and others take up some slack. Eventually, someone will have to take it on or the letters will disappear.

Reactions: delcrossv

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Larry, that was the owner of the site and how it is run. This is separate from the SWCA because they don't run the site or set the rules.

Dr. Roy Jinks recently sold his home, most of his collection and downsized. He has also had some computer problems. He is well into his 80's and I'm really surprised he continues to handle most of these requests. The factory abandoned him and the "factory letters" several years ago and that's why the cost of the letters rose. He does this as a labor of love for the guns and history. I do hope that the Assistant Historian and others take up some slack. Eventually, someone will have to take it on or the letters will disappear.
Thanks my friend. This is what I needed to know. Now, I can rest easy. Dr. Jinks is a fine gentleman. Met him years ago at a NRA function. I will just wait it out now I know what is going on. Too late to send the K22 back if it isn't right. Thanks again. Big Larry

·
Registered
33 Posts

I see everybody and their brother saying how they want to get a factory letter for their totally ordinary, common, utterly un-special, completely standard gun. Even after people tell them the approximate date from the serial number, they just have to know more... they want to know the "history" of the gun. All a letter is gonna tell you is that your gun shipped on Aug. 24, 1972, to Joe's Hardware store in Topeka, Kansas. It shipped with a standard 4" barrel, standard hammer, standard trigger, standard Magna stocks... just like 500,000 others that year. I always am amazed how people think that's worth a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see everybody and their brother saying how they want to get a factory letter for their totally ordinary, common, utterly un-special, completely standard gun. Even after people tell them the approximate date from the serial number, they just have to know more... they want to know the "history" of the gun. All a letter is gonna tell you is that your gun shipped on Aug. 24, 1972, to Joe's Hardware store in Topeka, Kansas. It shipped with a standard 4" barrel, standard hammer, standard trigger, standard Magna stocks... just like 500,000 others that year. I always am amazed how people think that's worth a hundred bucks.
I sent for a letter once on a Colt SAA 45. Pain Jane gun. Came back shipped to the Copper Queen Mine in Bisbee, AZ.
A very famous mine. A M&P letter on a 1940 Plain Jane revolver came back as shipped to the Sacramento Police Dept. You never know where the gun went unless you are willing to spend the $$$, and a lot of collectors do. Big Larry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts