Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember some years ago, when I did NOT buy a 3rd Gen in 356TSW for carry. It would have offered 357Sig ballistics long before the Sig cartridge was born. Federal target 356TSW at Ammoman was the last factory ammo I remember seeing for sale.

Now, Underwood is selling factory JHPs, 115 & 124.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/handgun-ammo/cartridge_356-tsw

Reactions: Boriqua

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Wow that is pretty intetesting. Never once heard of that cartridge. So it could potentially be used in any 9mm with the right springs?

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Wow that is pretty intetesting. Never once heard of that cartridge. So it could potentially be used in any 9mm with the right springs?
The 356TSW is 9 X 21.5 MM thus will not chamber in a 9 x 19 mm chamber.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Over on the big S&W forum, there were threads about the beginning & end of this round as a competition round in US IPSC.

Short story, as I remember, for Team S&W in IPSC, the company developed a double stack single action 9mm that made major with less recoil, for IPSC. It was very successful. Then rules changed to disallow any 9mm from being classified as major, and killed the usefulness for competitive use.

Round came close to duplicating the 125gr JHP 357Magnum (same as 357Sig) but was never marketed for self defense. The demand for 356TSW ended and they quit making ammo.

S&W made from scratch, & sold several models of PC pistols, and a J frame, for this round. Some models were target and other models could be carried on the street. 15 round mags.

I wanted one for carry, but I only carry factory ammo and there hasn’t been any for ages.

I don’t know that a simple spring swap is enough.

Reactions: Boriqua

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
over on the big s&w forum, there were threads about the beginning & end of this round as a competition round in us ipsc.

Short story, as i remember, for team s&w in ipsc, the company developed a double stack single action 9mm that made major with less recoil, for ipsc. It was very successful, and then rules changed to disallow any 9mm from being classified as major.

S&w made from scratch, & sold several models of pc pistols, for this round. Some models were target and other models could be carried on the street. 15 round mags.

I wanted one for carry.

I don’t know that a simple spring swap is enough.
it is not enough there has to be a chamber change!!! The actual size of the chamber is 9 x 21.5 mm.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I never believed their was any magic in the .356TSW cartridge. A sanctioning organization disallowed 9X19 as a Major caliber due to safety concerns. The 356TSW was created as a rule beater, so Team S&W shooters could use 9MM size guns and their high capacity magazines in competition and be scored Major. This, because 356TSW was not technically the same as the disallowed 9X19MM Major, and there was no SAAMI spec at the time for the newly created round. Politics were involved, and interest in the 356TSW soon died.

No magic, and no free lunch. The 356TSW is the same bore size, same case and bullet diameter, same OAL, and fits in the same magazines as common 9X19MM. Of course, if the goal is to load a very light bullet,say 90 grains or less, to max velocity, I guess the longer case would achieve that as it would allow loading those stubbly little bullets to 1.160". But with more normal weight, 115 grains or more bullets used, if one wants to load the same bullet, to the same velocity, to the same OAL in the 9X19MM case, you can do so and pressure will be the same as with the TSW round. Now if the TSW case head is indeed heavier than 9X19, it has less case capacity than 9X19, and pressures will be higher for any given load. So nothing at all wrong with .356TSW/9X21.5MM, but no magic either....ymmv

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
1 - 8 of 8 Posts