Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new here and a new gun owner. This is my first gun. I have taken my EZ shield to the range and I am noticing that after I fire a round the slide is staying open even though the magazine is not empty. This does not happen on every round but happens often enough. Does anyone have any idea why this may be happening and what to do to fix it? Thanks.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Welcome I'm sure someone will chime in with some advice shortly. I;m a revolver guy my self :)

thewelshm

·
Super Moderator
13,726 Posts
Is it a cleaning or lubrication issue?

I don't have one of these, but but S&W just announced a recall on this model due to problems with the hammer cracking.

If you have one of the recalled guns, it's a potentially dangerous situation.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I don't have one of these, but but S&W just announced a recall on this model due to problems with the hammer cracking.

I do have one of the guns so I have now stopped using it and am waiting to send it back to them. Thank you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most of the time this is caused by grip engaging the slide lock during firing. Check your grip, have someone else shoot the gun or check your grip for you.
My son also had the issue today (this is before we found out about the recall, just found out about it because I was looking for answers to this issue and found out about the recall here). I can not remember if my husband had the issue last week when we went to the range. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ps I am wondering if it is a cleaning issue , or now that you mentioned it a lubrication issue. But was wondering if there are any “known” reasons this happens. We just joined a range and as members they give us 80 minutes of “free” gun care so maybe I will have them look at it. Of course that is after I get it back from the recall.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Yes: First check that link above to see if your gun is one which needs to go back. If so, contact S&W immediately and get a return shipping label and do not try to use the gun again.

Second: If your gun is not on the warranty return list, you need someone who is knowledgeable (like a shooting instructor or at least a range officer) to check your grip to make sure you are not pushing up on the slide lock lever as you shoot. It is also possible that you might be pushing up on the safety, if your model has a manual safety (not the grip safety, but a lever on the gun near the slide lock lever) that you could be pushing it up/on thereby stopping the action of the gun. It is also VERY possible that your grip is so loose that the grip safety is not being held firmly in place, in which case (again) the gun will stop working.

I work with new shooters and the proper grip is easy to learn with the proper instruction. It is very difficult to unlearn bad habits and learn proper ones. Here is the best video on the proper grip and stance, made FOR and BY WOMEN:

In any case, it is a very good idea to take a lesson or two from a woman instructor. Women do teach women more effectively than men do. Just a fact of life.

AND BTW: WELCOME to the forum. Stick around and read a lot. There is lots to learn, even about guns that are different from the ones you actually own. And we need more women members anyway. :giggle:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes: First check that link above to see if your gun is one which needs to go back. If so, contact S&W immediately and get a return shipping label and do not try to use the gun again.

Second: If your gun is not on the warranty return list, you need someone who is knowledgeable (like a shooting instructor or at least a range officer) to check your grip to make sure you are not pushing up on the slide lock lever as you shoot. It is also possible that you might be pushing up on the safety, if your model has a manual safety (not the grip safety, but a lever on the gun near the slide lock lever) that you could be pushing it up/on thereby stopping the action of the gun. It is also VERY possible that your grip is so loose that the grip safety is not being held firmly in place, in which case (again) the gun will stop working.

I work with new shooters and the proper grip is easy to learn with the proper instruction. It is very difficult to unlearn bad habits and learn proper ones. Here is the best video on the proper grip and stance, made FOR and BY WOMEN:

In any case, it is a very good idea to take a lesson or two from a woman instructor. Women do teach women more effectively than men do. Just a fact of life.

AND BTW: WELCOME to the forum. Stick around and read a lot. There is lots to learn, even about guns that are different from the ones you actually own. And we need more women members anyway. :giggle:
Thank you. Yes my gun is on the recall list so it is in the safe and I will not use it until I get it back from S&W. Thank you for the video. I did take some lessons and worked on proper grip but I will continue to review and make sure I am doing things the right way. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Ps, are you saying that after I pull the trigger, if my grip loosens on the grip safety the slide would stay open?

·
Super Moderator
13,726 Posts
Yes. If you loosen your grip during the firing cycle, things will go wrong. This fundamental is called "Follow Through".

The firing cycle includes five fundamentals. You'll learn about them in a NRA Basic Pistol class. If you find a good instructor team, they will also be able to help coach you during the class.

I teach these classes regularly, and have for over 10 years. Every student (experienced or new shooter) can benefit from them, and most improve... some even surprise themselves...

Owning guns involves the responsibility to use them safely, store them properly and care for them. Like any sport, acquired skills are involved - and that can progress best with guided training.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
A very common cause of malfunctions in the guns shot by the women I coach is loosening their grip every time the gun goes "bang." It is critical to keep your grip very firm with both hands! That is a very bad "newbie" habit and needs to be consciously worked on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A very common cause of malfunctions in the guns shot by the women I coach is loosening their grip every time the gun goes "bang." It is critical to keep your grip very firm with both hands! That is a very bad "newbie" habit and needs to be consciously worked on.
I usually am pretty good about follow through as I shoot much better when I do that and I am working very hard to shoot more accurately. But thank you. Once I get the gun back I will look into this. Appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
30,201 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Sorry about the issues with the EZ. Hopefully the issue with the slide is resolved soon. Congrats on obtaining your first revolver. Post some pics when you get the chance. We'd Like to see the items you describe.:cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi and welcome to the forum! Sorry about the issues with the EZ. Hopefully the issue with the slide is resolved soon. Congrats on obtaining your first revolver. Post some pics when you get the chance. We'd Like to see the items you describe.:cool:
Thank you. today I successfully got my EZ shipped off for repair and I included the info about the slide. Hopefully I get everything straightened out soon. I also was lucky enough to get my ”Not disapproved” from the state police so I picked up my revolver today too. I got a chiappa rhino. Can’t wait to take it out this weekend to the range. This is what i got.

·
Registered
30,201 Posts
Very nice Rhino. Have handled them but never have shot one. Will be looking forward to the range report.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts