Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,242 Posts
It was Blodgett Canyon. I couldn't remember the name. It's a good thing a few of us live up this way. We can help one another get unlost.
Onenut58 is from near Kellogg and Mullan. Great places to hunt, and be hunted I guess. For those that have never made it out here it can get very remote very quickly. We've had 4 people killed near here by grizzly bears in the past 6 months. One lady was being followed by a wolf pack. I don't recall any issues with Cougars recently, but every once in a while somebody gets either mauled badly or killed. It's a very serious place to go hiking, camping or hunting. But the beauty of the region is so amazing, it's easy to be distracted by it. We never, ever go into the hills or the forest without plenty of handgun protection.

We live in the sunset shadow of Mt. Spokane over here in Spirit Lake. It's also one of the big Sasquatch hotspots. We haven't run into DB Coopers remains yet either, but we never know when we might.

Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
We have a lot of Sasquach here abouts, they taste like chicken.
Any suggestions about minimum caliber for Sasquatch?

My memories of consuming rattlesnake was "chicken". Why do all odd meats taste like chicken? a mystery.

At least I avoided "beef brains n eggs!". My dad's favorite. Aaarrrrrgjhhh!

·
Registered
9 Posts

My memories of consuming rattlesnake was "chicken". Why do all odd meats taste like chicken? a mystery.

I wouldnt go with less than a .22 Magnum unless it is full auto. Could be maddening to throw bees at it.:cool:

·
Registered
9,504 Posts

Caliber? you want CALIBER? No No Dart, If you shoot a Sasquach it only makes them mad. We use a dart dipped in a rather potent concoction of Curare.

The Curare makes them giddy and then drowsy and they go peacefully to sleep. Then and only then do we start the chainsaw.

Speaking of getting drowsy . . .Yawn, cooking up the Curare is kinda Yawn, like snorting the stuff. I think I - yawn - shall retire and see if the Sandman is painting in technicolor tonight.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Creeps in the woods? Naw, but I came close once in the 60's out in a Southern "Kal-if-ornia" beach community as a younger lad. Just turned 18 years old and getting ready to ship out overseas. I remember being excited about meeting what had been the prettiest group of gals I had ever lay eyes on, and they were crazy about me too. Talk about lucky.... The short hair (No one had short hair then except the military) and black service shoes was a give-away, but no one seemed to care. For the first (and last) time in my young life I woke up the next morning in various stages of undress, hugging a toilet in a house I had never seen before. Believe me, with the scene that greeted me as I searched for my clothes, that movie "The Hangover" was a boy scout meeting compared to what must have happened. I never did find one shoe, but luckily had shoved an emergency 10 dollar bill in one of my (still on) socks before leaving the base for a little "R&R" the previous evening and caught a taxi ride back to the base. Less than 3 weeks later I was in South East Asia for the next two years, and THAT my friends, gave me a hell of a lot more excitement and terror than just some "Creeps" in the woods.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
The 'Creeps' feeling have saved my tutu more than once. Not in the woods but about 30 years ago I ran into an airplane in the desert & some guys unloading crates of AK-47's. They got busted about 2 weeks later when they were unloading drugs @ the same location. Then there was the time when we were hiking & found a 'cornfield' in the bottom of a canyon... only the outside rows were corn, the rest another type of 'grass' that was more valuable. The creepy feeling & the caution taken afterwards has been taken seriously ever since.

·
Registered
19,447 Posts
I don't have a good story to tell, but I've got to admit.....there have been a few times, when I was in some unfamiliar woods not more than 25 miles away from my home, where I got the distinct feeling that I was being watched. Never found out for sure, but you'd better believe that I checked my back more than a few times, until I reached the truck.

it may not be a viable weapon against the S'quatch, but I usually have my trusty M-36 with thee FBI load at the ready, on my belt. It would probably make more sense to carry the M-66 snubby loaded with 158 gr. SJSP's, for better penetration out in the woods. You just never know! Better to potentially save my life.......then spend it's time languishing in the back of the safe.....looking pretty! :eek:

I never could actually justify getting a perfect 2 1/2" M-66-1. I bought it to use......but it's so purty! I'll have to get over that! EVERYTHING is pretty.....when it's new. ;) Bob

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
So Dart, what kind of LED fully charged flashlight and handgun will you have with you next time your in the woods after dark ? :D

When I first became a LEO back in 1968 in Maryland we still had walking beats, no portable radios and communication with the station was through call boxes.

The city I worked in had houses and shops that dated back to colonial times in the historic district with cobble stone streets and narrow unlite alley ways.

There were times when my Ray O Vac 2 D-Cell flashlight was no where near enough and I swear the ghosts from the American Revolution were laying in the shadows playing games with this 21 year old rookie cop.

Yeah I've had the "heebie jeebies" on a grand scale.

Regards,

FlaRon

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I got the creeps once when my wife & I were hiking in the Mountains just west of Hamilton Mt. We were following a rather large creek or small river up into the hills when the hair on my neck and arms went straight up. Goose bumps and a quick shudder. I told my wife to make sure her revolver was at the ready. My pistol was already loaded to go. My gut says we were being stalked by a Cougar. Corlinda never got the felling of being watched that day, but she's had it happen a few other times when she's been out hiking. We never go into the woods without a loaded side arm and extra ammo at the ready. Out here there are just too many dangers from 4 and 2 legged animals that need to be heeded and ready to defend against.

Regards, Gregory

Now that I am older, I wouldn't mind being stalked by a cougar.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Flaron,

The Super Redhawk in .44 mag or the model 29 gets it done. Big bore handguns bring a bit of comfort. I loaded up some 265 grain Hornady Lever Revolution loads. That bullet is intended for the .444 Marlin. It will only chamber in the Redhawk.

A bit stiff on the wrist. I would not want to wait on the curare to take effect, or get that close to shoot a dart. Worse yet, stick myself, lie there unable to move and be eaten alive! Not good!

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Heebie Jeebie adjustment tools:

The 10 million candlepower light to illuminate the stalker. Two Glock 357 Sigs with tritium sights and one with a brite light. A Colt Commander with tritiums and an 8-shot 357 with light and laser. The 12 gauge to use on yourself if stalked by a Windigo.
WARNING: NOT FOR USE AGAINST WINDIGOES.

·
Registered
73 Posts

My Mom always wanted squirrel brains and eggs when I would bring in a few when I was a youngster. She loved them. Never could make me try them.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Many years ago, my sister and her husband lived in Myrtle Beach, SC. They had a tree in the back yard that had been partially blown over in a hurricane but somehow managed to survive. They also had a big black lab that had learned to climb the leaning over tree and would sit up on a branch where he could catch a summer breeze. Their backyard was fenced and had no trespassing signs on all sides. One night my sister just happened to be looking out a window and saw two fairly drunk guys climb over the fence to take a short cut across the yard to the hotel where they were staying. When they got about half way across the yard, one of the guys happened to look up and see the black lab up in the tree. He hollered out "panther" and too off at full speed towards the opposite side fence with his buddy close behind. The remaining section of fence they had to get over was a chain link fence that was about 5 feet tall. They both managed to do a high hurdle and clear the top of the fence! I imagine that seeing what they thought was a panther about to pounce on them gave them a first class case of the heebie-jeebies! Oh, and my sister said she never saw them again!

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Not in the woods worse creeps I had was several years ago New Orleans picking up a trailer after hours at an old warehouse . The gate had been left open it was dark no one around felt like being watched went back to the truck and put my M581 in coat pocket

·
Registered
12,358 Posts
I get 'em virtually every single work day from May through September. I work up in the mountains on gated DNRC roads and often go an entire week without seeing a solitary soul. I've been charged by moose, stalked by cats, scared by bears and have had probably 7 heart attacks now caused by grouse. ;)

To this day, I get the heebie jeebies every single time I get out there. Often enough I have no cell signal, no radio, and no CB. I do, however, have my trusty 44 loaded up with 300gr hardcast. ;)

Every year, I think it'll get easier - it hasn't yet.

Why I have a SAT phone. Places I hunt out west, there is no cell service but there is always SAT phone service. Had the creeps more than once, especially in terrain I'm not familiar with. Human nature. We are not only hunting animals, we are creatures of prey as well. SAT phones are expensive, but a good investment and airtime isn't cheap but you only pay for actual usage after you buy the phone. Had one for 4 years now and I think I've used it 2 times.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts