Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good friend called me about a multi gun estate sale and I’d better hurry if I wanted anything nice. I asked if there were any S&W handguns and he said yes...they just sold a model 27 for $400!!! So I beat feet over there. They were only letting in one buyer at a time with a 4 gun purchase limit. I arrive and There is One guy in front of me buying long guns mainly. Very poor gun handling going on as usual at these sort of events. I finally get my turn at the table. Watched a pre 18 being bagged up for $500. (!!) and a model 650 3” for $400. Lord...anything S&W left?? Just a 15-2 snubby that had the ugliest thumb rest left handed stocks and a screwed on trigger shoe. Price was $500. Pass. Let me look at the Winchester model 12, two barrel set. They hand it to me chamber closed. I clear ALL GUNS. I don’t care how many hands it’s been through. Sure enough...a LIVE high brass turkey load IN THE CHAMBER. This gun had been through at least 5 sets of hands including the chief of police. Holy crap. I would have levt then but I figured if I hadn’t been shot yet may as well play my hand out. I ended up buying a hi standard 104 Olympic target gun and case. An eldorado 44 single action that I’d never heard of but was well built, a CZ 27 with holster and mags and a Colt 38 special police revolver PD marked. I’ll post some photos tomorrow. Time to say my prayers and hit the rack. :)

·
Registered
13,400 Posts
Good friend called me about a multi gun estate sale and I’d better hurry if I wanted anything nice. I asked if there were any S&W handguns and he said yes...they just sold a model 27 for $400!!! So I beat feet over there. They were only letting in one buyer at a time with a 4 gun purchase limit. I arrive and There is One guy in front of me buying long guns mainly. Very poor gun handling going on as usual at these sort of events. I finally get my turn at the table. Watched a pre 18 being bagged up for $500. (!!) and a model 650 3” for $400. Lord...anything S&W left?? Just a 15-2 snubby that had the ugliest thumb rest left handed stocks and a screwed on trigger shoe. Price was $500. Pass. Let me look at the Winchester model 12, two barrel set. They hand it to me chamber closed. I clear ALL GUNS. I don’t care how many hands it’s been through. Sure enough...a LIVE high brass turkey load IN THE CHAMBER. This gun had been through at least 5 sets of hands including the chief of police. Holy crap. I would have levt then but I figured if I hadn’t been shot yet may as well play my hand out. I ended up buying a hi standard 104 Olympic target gun and case. An eldorado 44 single action that I’d never heard of but was well built, a CZ 27 with holster and mags and a Colt 38 special police revolver PD marked. I’ll post some photos tomorrow. Time to say my prayers and hit the rack. :)
Exactly how I bought my Husky built S&W 308. Estate sale. Same seal too, lots of stupid people waving guns around.

Reactions: Victor N TN

·
Premium Member
10,740 Posts
Several years ago, in Germany, I was with a group of collectors in Oberndorf having breakfast at the B&B we were all staying at.

When I'm in Europe, I am particularly careful not to be a "loud, overbearing" American. It's a reputation earned by many tourists...

One local had brought in a boxed Mauser M1910 .25acp pistol to pass around. As I watched, they opened the box, and started handing it around. After the second time someone "muzzled" me with it, I stood up, reached over and said "let me have a look at that", taking it carefully from the person handling it.

I got "the look", and body language as people at the table reacted to the "overbearing" American that just couldn't wait... That was until I dropped the full magazine, and racked the slide and a cartridge fell out of the chamber...

The body language changed instantly, and "O my god" in German was quickly followed by, "I'm glad we won't be in the newspapers tomorrow morning..."...

You can never be too careful with firearms, even when with very experienced "gun people"...

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
"You can never be too careful with firearms, even when with very experienced "gun people"..."

That was my reaction as well..especially after I found the shell..and was told it was probably....A SNAP CAP. Um..no..this is a live round. Crimped with a new primer. Gun muzzles were all over the place and if I had not comitted to buying a couple of guns,I would have beat feet out of there as I did not want to be on the news in the morning.. Or worse, in the morgue!

·
Registered
238 Posts
What's rarely mentioned: Admitting to 'sweeping' someone.

I'm guilty of doing this 2 weeks ago.

mea culpa!

I just didn't see the guy at the other end of the long bay I was about to shoot from.

Until the guy moved (we were the only ones shooting) I hadn't noticed him.

I was mortified.

I shouted my apologies and to his credit he accepted graciously.

Man, I was embarrassed...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts