Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first model 19 was a 4" 19-2 that I bought in 1966 or '67 IIRC. Loved it and carried it (or my Colt Army Special) in a Bucheimer B-7. Sold that one to a friend back in the early '80 when I bought my current 4" 19-5. Shudda kept the -2 but oh well... the new gun was all shinny and purty and ...

Still have the Bucheimer holster but back when Tucker Gun Leather first introduced the Texas Heritage Holster I bought one for the Model 19 (and the Colt Army Special). I'm still using that holster these many decades later when I carry my 19 IWB slightly behind my hip. It's surprisingly comfortable although since the holster is relatively thin suple leather re-holstering has always been a two handed operation to get the cylinder past the top of the leather. I consider it more discrete carry than concealed carry but since year round dress down here is shorts and either a guayabera, Hawaiian/Key West print shirt or loose un-tucked fishing shirt it's always worked.

But now I've ordered a kydex IWB holster from We The People for my 4" 19. It should arrive in a day or so and I'm looking forward to finding out how an even newer format works. I have been really pleasantly surprised by kydex IWB holsters for my full size 1911s and HiPower (clones now, the Browning went long ago to a Forever Home. Shudda kept it but ... ).

Pictures will follow once everything arrives.

·
Registered
17,578 Posts
I also am not into Kydex, especially for a revolver, but am interested to see how it turns out. Re-holstering should be easier.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the holster arrived and I must say I'm impressed. As expected re-holstering is easy but it is also lighter, and considerably more comfortable than the leather Tucker that I've been using for decades. As it came out of the package it is a perfect fit for the Army Special but I had to loosen the tension screw for the wider trigger guard on the 19. But both snap in place with great retention. The trigger is fully covered and the body side keep the hammer spur away.

I'll use it for a few days but once again, as much as I hate admitting it kydex has turned out to be a better solution than leather. Down here along the border we only get maybe three or four days of winter each season but we get sweat and high humidity year around. This is the third attempt at kydex holsters for my wheelies, the first was for my Detective Special and then a leather with kydex insert for my "J" frame size revolvers and now this one for my young adult wheel guns. Makes me wonder if the Highway Patrolman might be possible?

Brown Bag Liver Handgun holster Font

Gun accessory Everyday carry Composite material Air gun Revolver

The kydex holster is also showing a few other advantages. First, because the material is stiffer the positioning remains constant and consistent. The grip is held tight against my body and I actually can loosen my belt one notch. That shield against the hammer really is nice and even when sitting or in the car I no longer get poked. It's also easier to pull the cover garment up over the grip before getting in the drivers seat so even sitting with the seat belt on I can still draw the gun.

So lighter, greater stability, increased comfort, more sweat protection and a thinner profile. I'll wear it for a few days just to see if it holds up to the initial impressions but so far I'm pleased. I think I will put some Magna grips back on it to further reduce the printing but not sure whether to go with smooth or checkered. Probably try each.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I’ll admit, I do have a couple Kydex Holsters for Glocks, and I can relate to the weather / humidity thing. But feel it would be sacraligous to pack my model 19 or any revolver in Kydex. I have Milt Sparks VM-2 IWB (Carry) holsters for all of my K, L, and N-Frame revolvers. Traditional, comforting, and well worth the wait for any Milt Sparks product. ymmv.
Revolver Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel
Revolver Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel
Brown Wood Personal protective equipment Bag Metal

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have lots of nice custom leather holsters for my revolvers as well as lots of the older classic ones from companies like Brauer Brothers and Buchiemer and Hunter. I particularly like the ones Lou Alessi made for me. But I must admit that I am finding the kydex and other polymer material holsters increasingly the ones I choose to wear. I am waiting for a custom leather IWB holster for my Detective Special but it's still a month or three in the future. Maybe it is just that I'm getting old. Particularly when it comes to IWB I seem to be tending towards comfort and utility over aesthetics.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 1911s pretty were pretty much the gateway drug for me into kydex. But I also did a thread I think over in the Semi area on my New Shields compared to the 469 I bought in the mid '80s. They also ride in kydex IWB holsters. What is really surprising to me is just how little difference there was between that 1985 469 and the 2022 Shields. The ergonomics and control locations as well as the trigger to back strap are simply close to identical. The grip on the 469 is wider since it's a double stack but over all things are so close that the 469 fits and snaps in place in the kydex Shield 45acp holster.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Decided to slim up the grips for concealed carry so put a set of J. Scott old style smooth grips on. IIRC these were ones I bought for the long gone to its Forever Home K-22 so not sure how the smooth tiny grips will do in use with 38 Specials. I'll try to get to the range tomorrow AM to find out. If it is unmanageable I'll try some of my Magna grips that will be just a little wider and more texture.

The Scotts sure are purty though.

Air gun Wood Trigger Revolver Gun barrel

And the wear and laugh lines on the Old Gal are from leather holsters.

·
Super Moderator
15,770 Posts
For a number of reasons, I prefer fitted Kydex holsters for my IWB carry firearms. They are thin, waterproof, and hold shape allowing easy one hand reinsertion. They also provide adequate retention for concealed carry.

When properly custom fitted for a model of gun, the only thing that retains the firearm is along the trigger guard. I've never experienced excessive wear on my blued or polymer firearms. In the world of "hardness" hard things abrade softer things.

While I started out with leather holsters and have a number of them, in a practical sense, I only carry in Kydex now, and recommend this to all my students in classes.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
For a number of reasons, I prefer fitted Kydex holsters for my IWB carry firearms. They are thin, waterproof, and hold shape allowing easy one hand reinsertion. They also provide adequate retention for concealed carry.

When properly custom fitted for a model of gun, the only thing that retains the firearm is along the trigger guard. I've never experienced excessive wear on my blued or polymer firearms. In the world of "hardness" hard things abrade softer things.

While I started out with leather holsters and have a number of them, in a practical sense, I only carry in Kydex now, and recommend this to all my students in classes.
Mine and other's expirence with plastic holsters has been vastly different, Also plastic has a tendency to hold embedded grit which can scratch one's gun...........So U use whatcha like and I will too.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine and other's expirence with plastic holsters has been vastly different, Also plastic has a tendency to hold embedded grit which can scratch one's gun...........So U use whatcha like and I will too.
It would be a service if you could start a separate thread and present any evidence that might help support your assertions.

I've been using the new kydex holster for over a full day now and it is increasingly impressive and kydex holsters in general somewhat longer. Granted I've used leather holsters for considerably more than a half century longer than I've used kydex but so far I have not observed any of the shortcomings that you have listed.

Looking at it's construction it seems far less likely to retain any dirt, sand or debris than a leather holster since the walls are rigid and the channels and the openings larger and not prone to collapsing even if I fell on top of it. The material itself will not retain moisture the way leather does and it seems nearly impossible to get sand or grit to stick on it, and we do have more sand and grit then cows down here in South Texas. We do have lots of heat and sweat and humidity and far more >90F days then <90F.

Reactions: Verde

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Got to the range first thing this morning and had it all to myself. I really wondered just how controllable the thin smooth J. Scott grips would be. They were fine with the K-22 but I was concerned that at 38 Special and 38 Special +P control would be difficult. Started out with a five dot target at 5 yards and ran a Z series top to bottom and left to right. Turned out that for SD accuracy all was fine so repeated right to left and bottom to top. Still okay SD patterns.

Did the same at 7 yards and then 10 yards with okay if not as desired results. But it did become evident that the smooth thin grips are not going to be the answer for regular concealed carry. It's just plain too hot a humid down here most of the year so I will switch out to one of my textured Magna grips. The old style certainly is the easier to conceal and does print less but the Magnas will be close while still slightly wider and slightly more aggressive.

So plan for today is to root through all the grips in the Box of Shame and see how many old K frame Magna grips I can find.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
36 Posts
I tend to find there is a difference with the cheap kydex vs. the well made ones. I have leather and kydex, and the leather has put more scratches into one of my blued guns than the kydex has because dirt / dust / grime makes its way into the leather and sticks there.

Both of my moderately expensive kydex holsters are very slick plastic finish on the inside and as mentioned, the retention point is at the trigger guard and otherwise the gun slides out like the thing is lined with butter.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Found a really nice condition pair of aftermarket Magna Style K frame grips. Got to the range and they only turned the AC on when I entered and the matte finish checkered slightly longer and wider Magna Style will be much nicer in our nearly 24/7 year round hot and humid conditions.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
180 Posts
That leather is pretty, no question there...but I got grabbed by the retro sc-fi look of a revolver shoved into Kydex.
That's what will go in the duffel bag when you head out to the Kuiper Belt on that water mining contract.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
mrerick Pls. re-read the last sentence of my post. I've carried 1911's in plastic. They will rapidly wear the finish do dirt and friction In response to post #15

1 - 20 of 21 Posts