Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Dom,
That is a beautiful gun! I have an 1895 Forehand Arms SxS which is a little scratched up but looks nothing as nice as that old gun of yours.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
xtm, it is an Angel, at least I think it is, she has wings.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Some of the older shotguns have wonderful engraving. Poor photos - but this Rigby shotgun made in Dublin has traditional Celtic patterns and scrolls. The hammers were fashioned and decorated to look like dolphin heads - even with little engraved eyes and fish scales.

xtm

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Beautiful guns.I dont have any engraved guns do to lack of funds to afford one and lack of talent and tools to do one.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
xtm, those are beautiful!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Dom, that's one beautiful firearm!

When it comes to engraved long guns, I have just two....

Browning Twelvette:

My custom Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum. My dad cut the barrel to 16" and re-crowned the muzzle with hand files. He also re-cut the dovetail for the front sight. We installed a saddle ring and my best friend made a John Wayne big loop lever for it. I refinished the wood with a satin finish of Lin-Speed oil and removed the white butt spacer. The action is smoothed out and has custom springs. The engraving is by Michael Gouse ( www.mtart.com ) and the buttstock cover is by Lever at www.levergunleather.com :

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I love those Browning Double-Autos, and that Marlin turned out spectacularly!

The engraver seems to have reasonable prices, too.

xtm

·
Registered
19,832 Posts
It is truely a shame that such artwork is being replaced with a stenciled on type of "engraving" these days. :roll: I can't afford engraved guns, but therefore.....I don't own one. I am unwilling to allow cheap stencilling to replace artwork, craftsmanship and skill. You get what you pay for...... :roll: Bob

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mm6mm6, that Marlin is awesome!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
xtm, another work of art, awesome!!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Bob K, check out Gouse at http://www.mtart.com and you may be very surprised at how inexpensive his engraving is. I know this is a rifle thread, but just as an example of Gouse's hand cut engraving and his prices, here's my Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless .32 he engraved with 75% coverage American Scroll:

This was $350 including shipping!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Since this post got resurrected, I have since had my Marlin genuine case hardened by Turnbull Manufacturing. Also, the current issue of either Guns or American Handgunner features an article by John Taffin which features several of his handguns that have been engraved by Michael Gouse.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts