Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20,534 Posts
That is a shame. But as the CMP stated, they will move forward proving that they don't have to depend on the NRA.

·
Registered
901 Posts
No doubt that this move marks the end of an era and the motive for NRA’s action isn’t exactly clear However, the CMA will carry on and the matches will continue. There seems to be an all out assault on the NRA by the media and the left. They have painted the NRA as an organization of rednecks and whacko gun lovers who are in one way or another responsible for all the shooting deaths and mass killings in the country. Therefore, the NRA must be evil. The strategy seems to be working. Funny how times have changed. I was looking at some old Our Gang movies and noticed that there was NRA banner on nearly all of them. Presidents were often proud members of the NRA and encouraged participation in their programs. One of the early purposes of the NRA was to teach men and boys who had not been exposed to firearms to shoot which was a big help for our military. I seems that in recent times the NRA has lost it’s way and has drifted away from it’s origins. Money seems to be a huge item in the fight for gun rights allowing executives to serve themselves well from the trough. In spite of it’s faults, the NRA remains the most influential force in protecting our 2nd amendment.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I've never been a fan of the NRA.........BUT.........I joined a few years ago because I saw this vendetta coming.

While the NRA has problems........I sure as hell could not stand by and watch it destroyed.

I also support local gun rights groups, but the NRA is an essential American tradition that must be protected.......in this battle it is a giant that cannot be allowed to fall......overwhelmed by a swarm of rabid jackals.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I’m a Lifetime Member of the NRA from 15 years ago. But there are a lot of financial improprieties occurring.
LaPierre will continue to draw his $1.4 million salary after he retires to be a “spokesman” for the NRA. Several have left the NRA to work for vendors and continued to be paid poorly documented vouchers for work performed in the amounts of hundreds of thousands of dollars.
I’ll support the NRA but they need to get their financial house in order and a lot of hands out of the cash register.
ETA https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/apr/26/wayne-lapierre-nra-vp-oliver-north-resign/

·
Registered
12,824 Posts
As in the past I will continue to go to Camp Perry ever summer. I enjoy it and whether or not the NRA is there or not, makes no matter to me. With the deal with Ollie North, the NRA appears to be headed toward some litigation over 'cooking the books'.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Just came home form the 1903 Springfield National Matches. The NRA wasn't missed by the shooters. There is only one 'Camp Perry' and many shooters expressed the sentiment that they didn't need the NRA to have a successful match. Competition and gun rights were separate issues. I shot as a senior civilian, my score was 225 -1X out of 300. My first, last, and only formal rifle match. I and a shooting buddy enjoyed ourselves but once was it. Another bucket list item checked off. Camp Perry National Pistol Match in 2014, a rifle match in 2019.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
The NRA is wading in the swamp to get things done. Unfortunately some of the slime from the swamp has found its way into the NRA house.
I don’t like it either but I have no one better to fight for my 2A rights. I’ll still contribute what I can which isn’t more than $20 or so every now and again. It’s kind of like picking up a skunk to keep the rats off of you. The rats are so thick they can kill you but the stench of the skunk keeps them clear.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Its does sadden me. i shot in my last Camp Perry Nationals in 1987. A long time ago. Family , Job and other things got in the way of my competing . But sure enjoyed it when i did. Still love to visit Camp Perry and watch the CMP matches. Great Place . Everybody should visit there at least once. Im surprised that they are moving the shots to Indiana i thought they would go to New mexico where the Police Nationals are held.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Its does sadden me. i shot in my last Camp Perry Nationals in 1987. A long time ago. Family , Job and other things got in the way of my competing . But sure enjoyed it when i did. Still love to visit Camp Perry and watch the CMP matches. Great Place . Everybody should visit there at least once. Im surprised that they are moving the shots to Indiana i thought they would go to New mexico where the Police Nationals are held.
Everything with the NRA and Whittington is now about money. The NRA goes where the money will be. Camp Perry has probably turned into a dry hole and the NRA is going where they can make more money.

·
Premium Member
6,415 Posts
I read that as the NRA is feeling the pinch of their waffling on many issues and having become an organization with its hand constantly out, but rarely fighting for our rights. People are going elsewhere, supporting groups that at least try.
NRA reportedly had impressive revenues in 2018 exceeding $400,00,000.00. Still, they had a reported budget deficit.

Excerpts-

"Overall, the NRA and affiliates had $412 million in revenue and $423 million in outlays in 2018, after $378 million in revenue and $379 million in spending in 2017.

Costs that have risen include travel and entertainment — from about $8.7 million in 2017 to $10.1 million in 2018 — and legal and audit spending, spiking from $12.9 million in 2017 to $33.5 million in 2018.

The NRA has cut spending on some bread-and-butter programs: Funding for gun safety and marksmanship programs fell from $42.6 million in 2017 to $32.7 million in 2018. Midterm election spending last year fell to $9.4 million from the $27 million spent in 2014.

https://www.businessinsider.com/documents-show-the-nra-is-facing-financial-problems-debt-2019-6

-----------------

If $400 million isn't enough to operate the NRA without having to cut back on gun safety and marksmanship programs while still operating a $10 million budget deficit.... sounds like things are out of control.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just came home form the 1903 Springfield National Matches. The NRA wasn't missed by the shooters. There is only one 'Camp Perry' and many shooters expressed the sentiment that they didn't need the NRA to have a successful match.
Good for you. That's a great score. I didn't make it this year due to eye surgery and complications. Maybe next year I'll go back. I agree with the sentiment you reported. Camp Perry will be fine. As far as I'm concerned, the CMP manages their end quite well and it's the perfect place to shoot my Garand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts