Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son called today while waiting in line to have the emissions tested on his 2012 Ford F-150. I had warned him to make sure he had put his truck back to the original ‘Factory Tune’ as opposed to the various other tunes to increase horsepower or to improve towing, he assured me had just before leaving his house… he failed the test. Long story short, within the last few weeks, he had to disconnect his battery, which dumped all of the computer data the Emission’s folks are looking for, so they sent him off to complete a driving list for his truck that should capture what is needed to pass. However, the truck MUST go back to the Factory Tune mode in order for this to happen. When he had disconnected his battery, he kept the custom tune active, so the computer ignored the data points necessary to fill in the parameters. I don’t have any vehicles that I’ve ‘tuned’ electronically, but if you happen to do so, be aware that if you lose your battery connection, you’ll likely need to restore your original factory setting for a several days/miles of normal driving (assuming you get up to highway speeds for some period of time) in order to fill in the computer blanks needed for emissions tests.

·
Registered
20,909 Posts
I like to keep my vehicle completely stock......I never mess with the stock tune either. I buy what I need, to do the job I want..........and never mess with it. ;) Bob

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
We didnt have any special tuning but a similar thing happened to us on our last vehicle inspection. AZ eats batteries, windshields and Rubber. So the battery just gave up the ghost and I installed a new one and when the wife went in for emissions they told her there wasn't enough info to read and instructed her to come back in a few days where it passed. Amazingly it was the second time it happened to us. Before that we had the gas cap rubber go bad and i got a check engine. They wont even look at it with a check engine light on. I determined it was the gas cap and replaced it but to clear the warning you have to disconnect the battery .. she goes in .. not enough miles!! ugh!

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not statewide, just Maricopa County and Pima County, although Pinal County has a requirement for testing after a certain number of years, but I'm not exactly sure how that works. When I got out of the Navy and moved to Phoenix from Yuma when ships still had wooden decks, it was all new to me! In a sense, I'm not joking; I actually watched one of, if not the last ship with a wooden fore-deck sail from the harbor of Yokosuka Japan, the USS Oklahoma City to it's retirement and demise. I remember a Navy band was playing at the departure, something that never happened when my ship the USS Midway departed! :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Had emissions testing near Houston for a short time.time. No longer, but we still get hit with a hefty registration tax.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Interesting that they should come up now. My wife 2500 Express van also failed emissions due to a check engine light. We had the sensor repaired but now I have to put a couple of hundred miles on it for it to give a valid reading for the emissions folks. I'm really glad I drive a 99 K 2500 Suburban because it is exempt from emissions testing as it is a heavy duty truck

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
17,326 Posts
No emissions testing here but.... Get yourself a good code reader like the Zurich SRT with 'fix assist'. You can revert the ECM back to OEM parameters with a push of a button. Excellent code reader plus it has full diagnostics.

·
Registered
23,436 Posts
Several years ago when we still lived in Maricopa County my Jeep failed due to a bad gas cap. I had a new one & swapped them out & asked for a retest, they said I had to leave & come back even though there was no one else there for a test. I drove out the door, around the building & back in then passed on the retest. Still no clue why I had to drive out, around the building & back in. Weird.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Question on procedures: if the emission testing is based on the computer contents, how do they evaluate older vehicles like the CJ 2 and 3 or pickups that have no computer?
Of course in Kansas we have no inspections for safety or pollution or anything else. It’s hard living in this environment!

·
Registered
23,436 Posts
Question on procedures: if the emission testing is based on the computer contents, how do they evaluate older vehicles like the CJ 2 and 3 or pickups that have no computer?
Of course in Kansas we have no inspections for safety or pollution or anything else. It’s hard living in this environment!

Believe it or not they're "antique" & exempt. The vehicles that fall between antique & computerized can be checked @ the exhaust pipe but if it has a computer it must be checked that way. No one ever claimed it makes sense.

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
20,909 Posts
InjunBro, You should be glad that they didn't tell you to do a 'rain dance while swinging a dead chicken around over your head" nbhaofso you could pass the test!!!! Bob

·
Registered
23,436 Posts
InjunBro, You should be glad that they didn't tell you to do a 'rain dance while swinging a dead chicken around over your head" nbhaofso you could pass the test!!!! Bob

It would make about as much sense...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts