Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

by Chris Dorsey | Jan 21, 2021 | HUNTING, SAFARI & INTERNATIONAL
Elephant Hunting: Because Their Lives Depend On It

If you care for elephants and want to see them flourish in the future, you must tell the world that there is no difference between elephant hunting and elephant conservation. That is our inconvenient truth.

Elephant hunting means the entire hunting party counts on you to make a clean, killing shot. Chris Dorsey shows how it’s done in this awe-inspiring video.
Every elephant hunting experience starts with a new frame of mind, an awakening that the stakes are higher — not only for you but for everyone involved. When the time comes, the entire hunting party counts on you to save their lives by making a clean, killing shot. The alternative is the unthinkable and the stuff of nightmares, so I go into this trip with the sobriety of a wedding proposal.

In 1973, Kenya’s ban on elephant hunting created an open season for poachers who decimated that country’s herds. For nearly a half century, Kenya’s elephant populations have failed to recover because of the illicit trade in poached ivory. Voices of western nations — many in Europe — that originally heralded the hunting ban are nowhere to be heard now, for the groups that chanted loudest for the hunting closure cared more about what funds they could raise off the international press coverage than the actual fate of elephants.

If history has taught us one lesson about elephants, sport hunting sustains the only management model that funds protection of the species; eco-tourism alone has failed to protect the herds in every instance. Hunting a few elephants with carefully controlled quotas, in the end, protects the many. Replace emotion with science and the future for elephants across the African continent would be bright. As it is, countries that allow elephant hunting have populations doing far better than nations that have “protected” the great beasts. And these facts are indisputable, no matter how inconvenient for animal rights organizations who offer no sustainable way forward for the elephant.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
My love of animals would give me great joy in....poaching the poachers.
Ask yourself what is in the mind of someone/anyone that would kill an elephant, a lion a tiger, how is that anything other than a twisted messed up mentality.
This goes for anyone. Then they stand next to the deceased beast and smile for the picture as though they did something brave and exciting. Sad

·
Registered
26,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some do not get the joy, adrenaline rush, and satisfaction; others do.

Reactions: Victor N TN

·
Registered
855 Posts
Elephant hunting is the greatest sport, tracking them for miles, getting in close for the kill, most I have shot were at about 25'. I have lost count of the times I have been chased by elephants and at times the whole heard. If its a get the hell out of here charge you can usually run away if its serious you stand your ground as you will never out run them.

Trying to explain this to a non hunter is like trying to explain color to someone that has always been blind.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Oh' I didn't know it was a sport since the opposition has four legs and does not have a weapon that can fire a round, up to what, 760' to 4000' a second. I must have missed that. Gawd people are screwed up.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Oh' I didn't know it was a sport since the opposition has four legs and does not have a weapon that can fire a round, up to what, 760' to 4000' a second. I must have missed that. Gawd people are screwed up.
Like it or not it is, and people get killed in hunting dangerouse game like a a poor defenseless 13,000lb elephant.
You are obviously into guns, there are a lot of people who can not understand your way of thinking and probably refer to you as screwed up.

·
Registered
26,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Neither have I but I have several friends who have been to Africa dozens of times (including elephant) and 1 friend who arranges safaris over there. The lack of hunting is killing more of the wildlife as natives displace the wildlife for cattle and poachers run amok. An elephant trophy hunt will cost well over $100,000 and most of that money will be spread around the local folks and provide jobs and income.

Reactions: Len and Keith44Spl

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
yup. a hundred grand would get the ball a rolling....

And another to get an artist to do the taxidermy work....

This friend of the family did my bull elk, but his specialty in African game.

He is truly an artist, the form made by hand...

(This work was done sometime in the last century....I think he is re-tired now)

·
Registered
26,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice! One of my mentionbed friends never got one of his bull elephant head from a trip to Kenya; the government wanted a whole bunch of extra taxes to let it leave that country and then it "disappeared"; most likely with the ivory sold on the black market.

This is part of the WAREHOUSE my friend Charlie has for his African trophies; he thinks he has almost 100 lions in there.along with the game you see

1 - 11 of 11 Posts