Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been intentionally stayin away from this forum...but Hell, it's another rainy day :mrgreen:

Lots of folks have no clue about what gives a knife a level of utility that goes beyond excepted practice. The practical use for the blade gets somehow transcended. We all know the makers and the marks. We also know what brings the dollar value to the marketplace. These are the known names and makers. Yet, there are so many lesser known makers that turn out better products.

I'd love to see a thread dedicated to these folks. They may not own the Randall, Scagel, Loveless brands... ~ but all of those innovators have passed.

So who are the next generation to carry the tradition forward?

gz

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
During the rainy days why dont you go out and make another knife.I liked that thread where you made one.I promise not to call it a work of art.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
Giz, For practicality and usefulness, I carry a 50 y.o. Sears Barlow pocket knife, that's been my side kick since I was about 9 or 10. It's not very flashy or expensive (Think I paid about $4 back in the late '50's.) . It is a quality 2 bladed knife, however. I use it all the time.....cleanning trout, cuttin' string, or opening letters.

I saw one like it in the Browning catalog, just last night. A lot of companies make this style pocket knife.......because it is so practical.
kfjdrfirii Bob

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
Sorry if I screwed up your thread, Giz. I apparently misread your post. Nobodies' interested in a Sears Barlow, anyway! :roll:
I just "keyed in" on the word practical and usefulness of a knife.......which brings my humble Barlow to mind. tnbtlaa Bob

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Giz, Its been several years since I've been to the knife version of the ShotShow in Marrietta Ga. I do feel that soon we will see some new bladesmiths coming forward into the spotlight. I've lost track of names and such, but it seems bladesmithing in its original form is starting to make a big comeback. I've got thirty to forty cards from makers somewhere around here that smith their own blades, and most work their own grips. There are a few of those who have become semi-famous, but for the most part you can still get an honest peice of steel for a good price. One guy back in Georgia goes to the junkyards for axle springs to start his blades.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Awhile back, you showed a photo of an Anger knife. I'd never heard of him, but thought his knife was tops in style and craftsmanship. Didn't you have him make you up a custom?

I thought Ralph Bone made a knife as fine as an early Randall, but discovered that he recently passed away - so some of his knives are now climbing to ridiculous prices. Sort of like paintings when the artist dies.... :|

Some elegant-but somewhat-unknown knives I've run across recently were made by Ruffin Johnson from Houston, Texas. Ditto that for McClung knives coming from somewhere in Oklahoma.

xtm

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gustav Anger has evidently stopped making knives. Which is a crying shame. I think it is a combination of a artistic soul who wanted to turn out the very best...and his inability to market his product on his own.

I've now seen some others, none of which are for sale. I can understand why.. ;)

giz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts