Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not really a single action modern gun person,but this one caught my fancy. Not much info on them out there. It seems to be of very high quality and the action was amazing.A little dirty,but it has been sitting for decades. It has nice balance and looks to be lightly fired. Nice matching holster. I offered $350 and it was accepted. I guess nobody up to that point had even picked it up. The grips are interesting and fit my hand like a glove. I'll take it out back later to see how it shoots. The sites are very nice.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I posted this on the blue forum and got a very interesting link! This model El Dorado is the first .44 Magnum revolver ever built! Pretty cool.

"The first United Sporting Arms advertisement contained a 9 ½” stainless El Dorado in 44 Magnum and a 6 ½” 45 Colt Seville with stag grips. The serial numbers were 44-00001 and 45-00002 respectively. Both of these prototypes were later given to John Himmelmann by Sig for safe keeping and to this day they remain in like new condition. Now this is where things get a little confusing. John remembers the ad being from late 1974 or early 1975, yet the El Dorado is in stainless. Some believe the first stainless model didn’t come along until 1976 or 1977, but this suggests it may have been earlier. Regardless of the year, the El Dorado was still the first stainless 44 Magnum revolver.
In 1976 United Sporting Arms completed the first stainless 44 Magnum revolver and called it the El Dorado. As with the previous two models, the El Dorado was named after an Old West, Texas town. It would be another two years before Smith & Wesson unveiled the 629, three before Ruger released the Redhawk, six until the stainless Super Blackhawk, and seven before Freedoms Arms offered the all 17-4 Model 83."

·
Registered
11,767 Posts
That's all kinds of cool! I have a 1977 & 1980 issue of "Guns Annual Book of Hanguns" magazines and I looked through them, but there were no El Dorado's shown. I agree with an earlier comment, the holster alone is impressive!

·
Registered
30,190 Posts
Congrats on adding that fine looking SA to your stable.:cool:

Reactions: Breakaway500

·
Registered
409 Posts
I think it's an awesome find! Looks very well built too. I'm looking at those stocks, and wondering if they're made for lefties. Seems like they could be with a thumb rest on the right, and a palm swell on the left.
It's a fine looking gun that I wish I'd found first. :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts