Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Converted a 1917 S&W from 455 webly to 44 with new cylinder and barrel..Got the cylinder gap down to .005 ,,cycles and locks up perfect..BUT !!!,,,Always seems to be a "BUT",,The old ejector rod wouldn't work because of reverse threads on the new cylinder rachet..,,So after ordering a whole cylinder assembly off e-bay.. I put everything together..Closes fine ,,locks up fine,,"But " Now when I go to cycle the action, the cylinder turns and locks into battery ,,,,BUT the hammer will not go back far enough to fall..It will not even go to full cock when thumbing the hammer back.. I checked for clearance on the front and back of the cylinder and nothing is holding it up from the outside..So, what gives?..Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Hand is to long for the star on the cylinder and is binding. You will have to re cut the star "ratchett" to right length

·
Registered
682 Posts
Willy,

That's a cool project.

All you needed for the first 44 cyl is an ejector rod with reverse thread from post 1959. I believe I have one for you.

Is the front end of the ejector rod contacting the front locking lug? It should have ~ 1/16" gap.

With hammer partially held back so the cyl stop bolt is down slip a credit card between the frame and cyl to keep the stop bolt down and see if cyl rotates freely turning by hand with extractor rod installed.

Background questions:

What vintage is the 44 barrel, is it cut for the original mushroom ext knob?

What thread does the ebay cyl assembly have, right hand or reverse? What vintage?

Do you want to sell the original 455 cyl?

·
Registered
682 Posts
If the hand is to long, why does the gun cycle and go into battery without the ejector rod?
Most likely because the hand/ratchets are not the problem. And if they were, never cut the cyl star ratchets, adjust by shortening the hand.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Willy,

That's a cool project.

All you needed for the first 44 cyl is an ejector rod with reverse thread from post 1959. I believe I have one for you.

Is the front end of the ejector rod contacting the front locking lug? It should have ~ 1/16" gap.

With hammer partially held back so the cyl stop bolt is down slip a credit card between the frame and cyl to keep the stop bolt down and see if cyl rotates freely turning by hand with extractor rod installed.

Background questions:

What vintage is the 44 barrel, is it cut for the original mushroom ext knob?

What thread does the ebay cyl assembly have, right hand or reverse? What vintage?

Do you want to sell the original 455 cyl?

I have a model 29 cylinder with extractor installed on the original yoke now.
Front end of ejector rod is clearing the locking lug.
Cylinder moves freely ..

Background questions
Barrel is a model 28 357 barrel re cut to .431 bought off e-bay
CYLINDER ASSEMBLY IS TYPICAL REVERSE THREAD OF MODERN S&W REVOLVERS
455 cylinder was rechambered to 45 colt before I got the gun,,CYLINDER THROATS MEASURE .457-458
Someone else already has dibs on the cylinder,, If they change their mind you can have it.
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most likely because the hand/ratchets are not the problem. And if they were, never cut the cyl star ratchets, adjust by shortening the hand.
I might be just a backyard gun plumber,,but I do know enough to NEVER file on the ratchet!...But thanks for the heads up anyway.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have a model 29 cylinder with extractor installed on the original yoke now.
Front end of ejector rod is clearing the locking lug.
Cylinder moves freely ..
Excellent!

Background questions
Barrel is a model 28 357 barrel re cut to .431 bought off e-bay
CYLINDER ASSEMBLY IS TYPICAL REVERSE THREAD OF MODERN S&W REVOLVERS
455 cylinder was rechambered to 45 colt before I got the gun,,CYLINDER THROATS MEASURE .457-458
Someone else already has dibs on the cylinder,, If they change their mind you can have it.
Thanks for your input.
Thank you!

Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts