Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the 696 .44 Spl. approximately the same physical size as a K frame model 65? I'm thinking they are very close from what I've read but I've never actually held a 696. I'm trying to determine if a 696 would fit in the same holster as a 65. Thanks for any opinions.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Some holsters will work but some may have to be "wet fitted" There is some difference in size between the L frame and the K frame. My Model 696 worked well in a holster made for a 3" Medium frame. I no longer have it so I cannot give you dimentions.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
The 696 is an L-frame revolver and close to K-frame size. As to "IF"
it will fit a model 65 holster - a lot depends on the type holster you have.

By that I mean, if it is formed fit holster like a Bill Jordan Border Patrol
holster, my L-frame 686 won't fit in it, because it was made specifically for a 4 inch K-frame and the full length lugged barrel 686 won't squeeze in.

However, there may well be many other makes that will accomodate both.

Hank

·
Registered
273 Posts
I run my 686 L frame in N frame Kydex or leather holsters, bit loose but works ok for IDPA. They have tension adjusters and if I tighten up they hold. It won't fit into any of my K holsters. 696 with I would expect a larger cylinder doubt if it's going to fit a K holster without some alteration.

Boats

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info. That's the same line of thought I had about the fit. The holster would probably be an El Paso if I had the 696. Underlug on the 696 would be different than the 65 for sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts