Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Very nice...I like it alot. Be fun to shoot her and is definitely a head turner...

That K117 is way overated anyway. Guy that has it, found it in a damned Pawn Shop... :mrgreen:

giz

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
That is very nice! Maybe worth getting lettered to see if you are right.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Very Nice Gun and Wonderful Snapshot.... But then again, what's not to like? :p

My earliest Pre-18 has two pins holding on the front sight blade and ramp. I've seen others with the same means for attachement.

I'm wondering if perhaps this gun began life as a 6" and was then factory shortened? I understand that this was quite common at the time.... I don't know, but I sure as heck would letter it or at least call Mr. Jinks for his opinion.

As a point of interest, the earliest 4" that I have that I am certain is factory is K 198,542. I have the box for it which was intended for a 6" and it has a paper relable marking it to 4".

No matter. Your gun is beautiful.

Drew

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am inclined to agree with Drew (good idea... he is usually right) on the barrel being cut.

Looking at the crowning it does not look like the way S&W crowned barrels... which is an indication someone else cut it down...

In any case they did a good job...

If the gun was made as a 4" it would have to be one of the very first.... a call to Roy Jinks will point you in the right direction.

FWIW

Chuck

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hello RdrBill
That is one Neat K-22 you have there. According to my Reference information your serial number shows to be 1949-K-73122--K-84129. I Also Notice that your extractor Knob is a Tad Bit larger in diameter than the Later ones? I would letter that Gun as well, to set the record straight. Whether or not it left the factory with that Patridge front sight, it sure looks right to home on it. Thank's for sharing the Pictures good Job Taking them as well... kfjdrfirii Hammerdown

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
*Sigh* ..... I know you know this stuff RdrBill, but I'll correct the misinformation for the benefit of others who may be reading this thread and attempting to learn.

The ejector rod head in the K-22 shown is correct for era and is typical of those found from the K-teens to the end of production.

The only variation in this cylindrical ejector rod type is for the undercut groove to denote a change in the thread direction during the brief period of the 17-1 production. These would be right around K425,000 or so.

The very earliest Post War, K-22 Third Models (such as K117) have a Prewar pattern ejector rod head with a larger head measuring .315". This type of ejector rod head is seen on late Pre-war K's such as the M&P's, Outdoorsmans and British Contract 38-200's. There is a relief cut in the underside of the barrel to allow this larger ejector rod head to clear.

Some folks should just not speak of that they do not know. Simply having a copy of the "Standards Catalog" and parroting from it does not make one an "Expert".

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hello RdrBill
I see some things never change when it comes to Wetting in my Corn Flake's by Those that "Think" They are authorities on S&Ws. :roll: But, The Fact of the matter is the Factory Ordered a left hand thread design to be applied to all K-Target Revolver's on "December 22, 1959" and on that same date for the Larger-N-Frame revolvers and even the "Real Authority" On S&W's who is MR. Roy Jinks denotes any serial number sequence as stated "Unknown" In the serial Parentheses Portion of Engineering changes page 178 of His Book Entitled The History of S&W and I do consider him the Real Authority of anything to do with S&W's Period, so it makes me wonder where this serial number of 425,000 or So, Popped Up, as that would be Much later than when the Order of change was placed showing that number to be here 1960-K-386805--K--429894 so I find that as Miss-Information and Unconclusive . ;) One other Important feature that seemed to get left out by the Previous responder is They also stamped some of the face's of The cylinder's of handguns that had this left Hand Thread design change with the "L" Prefix early on in the change as a way of letting owners and Gun Smiths know the threads had changed to Left hand Thread, From The Previous right hand thread used of which they still use today. My Mention of the size of your extractor meaning it does appear to be slightly larger in size and the Knurling also looks finer than later ones used today.The Later ones have the Knurling level with the smooth tube of the extractor, and yours appears to me to be Just slightly larger in Circumference compared to the smooth part of the extractor tube, But certainly not as large as the Pre-War design extractor ends . I am very familiar with the Early Post War Mushroom shaped extractor Rod's on K-22's as I have one on my 1947 Model so they were doing that installation and Barrel clearance Cutting as late as September 1947 when my Gun shipped, so the Previous statement about this being an Early design feature does not hold Water either. :roll: I am no Expert, Nor never claimed to be as some do here, I was Just Posting a comment and Praising how nice your Pre-18 revolver is and the Information above came directly from who I deem the Real Expert Roy Jinks' book entitled "The History of S&W. I do have all three volumes of "The Standard catalog of S&W's" as well, but even they have some miss information contained in them, so I Guess it show's none of us short of Roy Jinks are perfect in S&W changes or commentary, and Perhaps would be better to keep our comments to our selves, when we have nothing to add but more Miss-information. I have learned in the Past with design changes Nothing is chiseled in stone with any S&W. Have a nice Day, and I still say you have a gorgeous revolver whether it shipped with that barrel being 4" with The Patridge sight or not. Have a nice Day, jgbpo Hammerdown

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Who is Miss Authority? Hell, introduce us.

In the meantime, don't flatter yourself.

My 17-1 is K425,921. What's yours?

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
OK people that will be enough! Play nice!

Thank you!

G

·
0 Posts
Hammerdown,

Perhaps your confusing when the engineering change was ordered versus when S&W implemented it.

The engineering directive to change the thread direction on the extractor rod (RH to LH) was issued on December 22, 1959 and took approximately two years to implement (based on what we know today...and it may change when more revolvers are discovered and documented).

The change to the extractor rod with a left-hand thread was authorized in late 1959, but at least with the N frames the -1 models did not begin to be shipped until late 1961 and then into 1962, with most were shipped in that year with a few carrying over to 1963. The -2 models also appeared in late 1962, so the the -1s were really only shipped for a year plus.

Sorry for my part of the thread drift... :)
But when we talk about only certain model K dash 1's or N-Frame dash 1's and Engineering directives and timelines...it's best to get everyone on the same page....

And besides, I'll say it again....that gun in the original post is a head turner. I also think it should be lettered.

Anyone asked if there are any factory rework marks on it yet? :eek:

giz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts