Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I picked up an early Buck 110 folder at a flea market this week for $10. By Bucks web site it looks like it was made sometime between 1974 and 1980. Now the bad part of my story. The blade looks terrible. Looks like the tip has been broken off and the blade reshaped. The rest of the knife is in OK to good condition. As it is it is not very useful or pretty. But it is an early 110 so maybe slightly collectible?
I am trying to decide whether to keep it as is or send it back for a new blade. I have four other 110s so I don't need this one for daily use. But personally I feel like a Buck knife deserves to look good and be useful.
Anyone want to share an opinion on what I should do with the 110? Thanks. JA

·
Banned
135 Posts
I have a few of the 50th 110's still in the package but it will be a long time before they gain any value over any other 110.

So I would say if you bought the knife to collect then keep it in its package, if it is to be used than use it and enjoy it while taking care of it at the same time.

·
Registered
37,609 Posts
I beg to differ. Buck has one of the best customer service departments that I have ever dealt with. I'd send it back and have then refurbish it.
Exactly

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for all of the info guys. I will be sending it back for a new blade and buff and shine. Thanks to all that responded. JA

Update: I mailed the 110 back to Buck this morning. I will try and post a pic when it gets back. JA

Reactions: Injunbro

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys and gals. An update on the Buck knife that I sent back for a re-blade and polish. I had not heard anything from Buck at about 8 weeks time frame. I sent an email asking for an update. The next day I received a phone call from them in regards to my knife.
The nice woman on the phone asked if the knife had any sentimental value. I told her no, it did not. She asked if she could send me a brand new 110 or if I wanted to wait a few more weeks for them to repair my knife. I asked her which option was best for Buck as I really did not care either way.
She then said sending a new one would be better for Buck to help them clear a backlog of repairs. I told her GREAT! That works for me. Two days later my new 110 was in my mailbox.
What great customer service!!!! Thank you Buck Knives.
The wood looks dull in the picture but it was just the lighting. JA
Grey Eyewear Everyday carry Material property Rectangle

·
Super Moderator
20,100 Posts
Congrats on the great service received. Since Buck moved to Post Falls Idaho they have improved the quality of their blades, and improved their customer service response time. The new factory is state of the art, but still requires a great deal of hands on work to make them as good as they are. The Idaho plant is about twice the size of the one they had in California. They brought with them as many employees as would move with them, so they kept the highly skilled metal workers in spite of the move. Nothing but good came out of that.

I used to work for a company out in Coeur d'Alene, ID, and Buck Knives was one of my customers. They take good care of theri people, and their product lines4 years ago I was given a one of a kind special built model 119 as a Christmas gift. They made one other model 119 that has a brass pommel and accents on a red marbled Phenolic handle. There were 25 of them made, and I have one of them. They will always be my favorite knives, and a Buck will always be on my side when I'm out hunting.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree. Buck will always be my favorite knife also. I have a 110 lite on my belt as I type. I carry it every waking hour 365 days a year excluding church functions. I have other brands but Buck is my first choice. JA

Reactions: SBC1320

·
Registered
37,609 Posts
When I was in college in Atlanta in the mid 70s, I had a summer job building the Atlanta subway system. Atlas Copco was the supplier of the drill jumbos, the drilling steel, etc. The rep was making SO much money on commissions form sales to us, he bought everyone a Buck 110 - at the time, they were $40+. I still have , 45 years later........several guys used them for chipping the granite under Atlanta and broke the blades - they went back to Buck who shipped them new ones - doesn't get any better than that

·
Super Moderator
20,100 Posts
Buck Knives was one of my company's customers. Their customer service is 2nd to none. Call them up or e-mail them with your problems. They'll get you the mailing advice and then send it to them. They'll fully restore it, or replace it if they deem it unsafe. Don't lose time waiting to get it done.

·
Registered
8,122 Posts
Hello,
I picked up an early Buck 110 folder at a flea market this week for $10. By Bucks web site it looks like it was made sometime between 1974 and 1980. Now the bad part of my story. The blade looks terrible. Looks like the tip has been broken off and the blade reshaped. The rest of the knife is in OK to good condition. As it is it is not very useful or pretty. But it is an early 110 so maybe slightly collectible?
I am trying to decide whether to keep it as is or send it back for a new blade. I have four other 110s so I don't need this one for daily use. But personally I feel like a Buck knife deserves to look good and be useful.
Anyone want to share an opinion on what I should do with the 110? Thanks. JA
Good Heck I'd send it back. Ya can't have TOO many old knives. The new ones
just ain't made the same. I like the way an old 110 feels. fwiw

·
Registered
22,196 Posts
I beg to differ. Buck has one of the best customer service departments that I have ever dealt with. I'd send it back and have then refurbish it.
Exactly. I buggered blade makes it basically worthless and not collectable.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I’m currently dealing with Buck knives warranty department about a knife made in 1986. The laminate scales are coming off. My first contact with them about it included 3 sharp and close up pictures clearly showing the defects. Their first response was that it’s a discontinued model so repair isn’t possible. My response to that was that I want a comparable ($$) replacement then. So then I am told they don’t know that they can do that. Oh really? So if you discontinue a model the lifetime warranty is just kaput? Gosh, I hope car manufacturers don’t decide to do that too. Oh, we’re sorry Mr. Sucker, we only made that particular model Audi in 2020 so your warranty doesn’t exist anymore. So I got an email Wednesday saying to send it in and they will contact me about a replacement. We shall see. I have an assortment of Buck and Case knives, some I purchased in the early 70’s (that would be 1970’s AD) for some of you young gals and guys.
I like sharp things and things that go bang.

·
Registered
815 Posts
That is awesome Service!
Its refreshing to find a company in this day and age that stands behind their products.
I dont think there are any that stand by their products better than Buck. Great company, and great knives.

RCBS is another company that will take care of you, and has a no hassle warranty. I dont even look at their competitors products, when I need reloading tooling. Hard to go wrong with green!

Snap on is another! Great warranty!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts