Smith And Wesson Forums banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Baby Chiefs

my S/N 3434X has the flat latch, small trigger guard, and short grips. 5 screws, serated ramp, Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
bought it of a dealer that carried it for years, I have been carrying it off and on for 3 years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
would love to talk to you I just purchased a model 37 0r 36 I don't know but very interesting , would love to talk to you about it .. you seem very knowledgeable jeff Wilson 865-789 3653 thankyou

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im looking to get as much info on my 38 that ive had for a while... i know its a mod 37, with the serials 228xxx... it only has two screws on right side... cant figure out how to post pics as im new to this... as much info possible is very much appreciated... and i know price would go with condition but a round about would be great as well... thanks for any help possible

·
Registered
190 Posts
It is interesting how the Baby Chief features carried over after the change to the larger grip frame and triggerguard were implemented. I recently purchased a Baby Chief serial number 34554 with all the early features. The serial number is close to one that shipped in June 1953 and while I know that S&W didn't ship in serial number order, I would think that mine shipped somewhere around that time.

It is a five screw gun with the serial number stamped on the barrel, cylinder and stocks as well as on the frame. It was sent back to S&W in the early seventies for a refinish and has the rework date of 11.73 on the grip frame along with a boxed R-S. Looking at the recoil shield, it doesn't appear to have been fired since it came back from S&W.

Unfortunately, due to poor storage, there was some rust spots on the frame and cylinder.

·
Premium Member
20,347 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Your gun shipped in 1982.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi fellas, noobie here.
I bought my 2nd S&W Revolver recently. I really love the Chief's Special history and this thread is what put me over the top to purchase one.

I still am unsure of the year it was made. Perhaps you could assist? Believe it or not, it is a blued model though the seller photos make it appear almost a nickel!

It does appear the grips have been laquered at one point. The S&W Stamp is smaller than the more recent Model 36 that I've seen.

·
Premium Member
20,347 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! Your Chiefs Special was shipped in the 1971-72 time frame.

Reactions: Sportsdad60

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone. New to the forum but I must say I love it so far. A little about me. Paramedic by trade. Previous military and proud of it. Father of 2 and my children recently won their first 1st place shooting awards. 10 y/o daughter with her ar15 and my 8 y/o son with his sub- compact 1911 / 22lr. What brought me to this forum.....was going through my safe and came across my mom's S&W 38 special. I wanted to find out when it was manufactured. I believe it was in 1955, from the data I obtained on this forum. It's a .38 Chiefs Special Airweight model No. 37. Serial number is as follows......J69XXX. I don't ever remember this firearm being discharged. My mother would carry it when we would travel to Wisconsin for vacation. I was trying to get a value, for insurance reasons. If I can I will post a picture of the firearm. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
Hello everyone. New to the forum but I must say I love it so far. A little about me. Paramedic by trade. Previous military and proud of it. Father of 2 and my children recently won their first 1st place shooting awards. 10 y/o daughter with her ar15 and my 8 y/o son with his sub- compact 1911 / 22lr. What brought me to this forum.....was going through my safe and came across my mom's S&W 38 special. I wanted to find out when it was manufactured. I believe it was in 1955, from the data I obtained on this forum. It's a .38 Chiefs Special Airweight model No. 37. Serial number is as follows......J69XXX. I don't ever remember this firearm being discharged. My mother would carry it when we would travel to Wisconsin for vacation. I was trying to get a value, for insurance reasons. If I can I will post a picture of the firearm. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

An unfired, in the box w/ all the trinkets Model 37 would sell for around $600 here.

·
Premium Member
20,347 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! Model 37 with SN J69710 was made in 1969-70. S&W deleted the diamond around the grip escutcheon screw/nut in 1968. In the condition I see with all the accessories, between $600 to $700.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts