Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a very good picture but I’ll post it anyway. I walked outside and saw the eagle going after the cowbird (cattle egret). After chasing it a few seconds the eagle took it down in the water.
I went inside to get the camera and came back out just as it was leaving with dinner. Just had time for a couple quick shots, wish I had some better ones.
Bob

The eagle really put on a show today, it's quite a dogfight trying to catch a bird in the air. The bird is forced down into the water by the eagle and that is the end of the chase.
Bob

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Re: Eagle

hey man, nice shot :mrgreen:
Eagles are a magnificent creature. Thank God we didn't get stuck with the Turkey!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

You wouldn't know it, but we have a lot of raptors out here in the desert. Hawks, a few eagles, more than too many owls and just a few more buzzards.

f150guy - no we didn't get the turkey, but we did get the Obama Loon. :mrgreen:

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Nice shot Bob. I've been watching 3 baby eagles,(not the ones from Israel Weapon Industries !), grow up over the past few weeks. Nice watching Ma and Pa come and go too. I check my email when I get home and click over to see what they're doing.

Check it out... rags http://www.wvec.com/cams/eagle.html

·
Registered
12 Posts

Quarter Cherokee said:
You wouldn't know it, but we have a lot of raptors out here in the desert. Hawks, a few eagles, more than too many owls and just a few more buzzards.

f150guy - no we didn't get the turkey, but we did get the Obama Loon. :mrgreen:

Sorry, I couldn't help it.
The raptors must be licking their plates clean or you would have more buzzards. :lol:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Very, very interesting photo and info. I've never seen any bird of prey carry off supper with it's bill before. I think you have captured something quite educational and revealing. Any idea what kind of bird it is?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure what it caught, it was chasing a cowbird (cattle egret) that got away. It went after the other bird that it caught but I couldn't see it very well. I can't associate the color and size with the birds usually seen here. A hawk frequented the area but I don't know if the eagle could/would go after it but the size is about right.

If it stays around here it doesn't look good for the turkeys this year.
Bob

·
Registered
170 Posts

photohause said:
Nice! I've never had the opportunity to photograph one.
You have a standing invitation for a " Guided " hunt if you ever come to Boise. I watched two fishing in the Boise River one morning. What camera did I have with me ? A 4x5 Linhoff ! So all I could do was watch perkgfn I saw an Osprey take a big trout out of Grimes Creek on my way to Idaho City the other day. Kind of made me mad because I'd fished that creek for three hours two days before and didn't get a thing. :lol:

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I like to watch eagles hunt.I used to watch bald eagles and Osprey on CouerD'Alene lake in North Idaho But never seen any right out my door like you got there.
I watched two golden eagles hunting as a team once that suprized me. I was sitting just off a ridge looking down into a basin that was mostly rock and bear grass.But small patches of timber and brush. Just about fifty yards or so below me was a patch of alder brush. I was scanning the basin for anything that might step out of the timber or brush patches when I seen a couple golden eagles soaring on the currents down the canyon.One soared towards me and when it was over the brush patch just folded its wings and dropped like a rock out of the sky into the brush. A grouse flew up out of the brush and the other eagle grabbed it in the air with its talons. The other eagle took off out of the brush and they both soared off.
Some times I wish I had learned about photography and motion picture cameras. I have seen some cool stuff in my days that you dont see very often like that.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had a Golden , my favorite , nearly take my head off. I inadvertently got too close to the nest. It was coming for me but I looked up for some reason at the last second. I had a big hat on and I think the flash of my face spooked it. All I saw were talons missing me by about three feet! :shock: My second best wildlife encounter in my life. It is amazing to watch them stoop. Dive at over 100 MPH and pull up like it was nothing. The best episode will have to wait for a cougar thread.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts