Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Neat photos, azmick.
I've always found it curious that the floor of the canyon is so much hotter than the rim. fhfjjjj
Don

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't go to the Grand Canyon, but up on the rim
http://carizona.com/rim/
The floor of the Grand Canyon is a full mile below the top, and just like in an airplane, it's cooler up there
We were at about the 8,300 ft. level and it was a good 20 degrees cooler than here at home {1300 ft}
The nice thing is, it's only a couple hours drive away.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
QC, actually it isn't hot at the Grand Canyon, as I was at the South Rim two weekends ago and it was about 75 and breezy. Also stopped at the Air Museum (about 30 miles south of South Rim) and toured through Gen. Douglas MacArthur's old Lockheed Constellation airplane, what a site that was! If anyone is in the area, I recommend dinner at Rod's steak house in old-town Williams, AZ. I had a Filet Mignon there that was delicious!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Two years ago I was on the North rim of the canyon, don't know why, but aside from the spectacular view all I remember is the oppressive heat. That's saying a lot, coming from a damned fool who lives half his life out in the middle of the Chihuahuan Desert. Maybe 'cause it was towards the end of July/first of August. Next year, when my sister visits, I'm taking her to the Grand Canyon. It is something that everyone should see at least once in their life.

Take care, gentlemen.

QC

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the Grand Canyon. It is something that everyone should see at least once in their life.
+1
We went up the first time and stayed about six hours watching the shadows and sunshine change the look
No picture/movie will ever do it justice

1 - 7 of 7 Posts