Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He just doesn't know it yet :mrgreen:

I've been slowly building a .32 Caliber Crockett up. Drew mentioned he wanted to participate in this years first Walking Shoot, up at my place. I wanted him to have a well regulated tack driving son of a gun to use if he so chose. So since last year, I've been slowly building this Traditions up. The guns sights have been tossed and replaced with a buckhorn moved 2" to the rear and gold bead front. The lockwork has been retimed and tuned to a very crisp trigger pull. A few good loads have been worked up for the gun. The elevator on the Buckhorn is easily set for 50', 25 yards, 50 yards, and 100....

At this point, it is already one of the more accurated muzzleloader that I have shot. Capable of great accuracy out to 100 yards. And I do mean very small groups. So now it's time to make her a pretty gun. Already fitted a custom sideplate to her and will be adding a patchbox to the other side. Going to flat file and then brown the barrel. I believe I'm going to rework the stock into a slightly better design.

Should be ready for the end of the Summer..... :)

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Thoughtful of you.... Thanks!

But does this mean I can't use my T/C Renegade Carbine in .56 Smooth Bore double loaded with Buck-n-Ball? :lol:

Drew

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might be a little hard on the 52 Card Deck mounted to the plywood, on the Poker run.... :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Gizamo said:
Might be a little hard on the 52 Card Deck mounted to the plywood, on the Poker run.... :mrgreen:

giz
Bet I can hit an inside straight with one shot! :lol:

Drew

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Drew,

I shot your gun again today...and still want to work on the double set trigger. I want it to need only side pressure before you have to pull back and get a clean break at 1/2 lb. I figure a 5-6 ounce trigger pull will get you where you need to be. :)

As to the folks that think a .32 is a expert gun...I find that this one with a .315 ball and thin patch will shoot about 40 shots before fouling out. Spit patching every 10 rounds and it will run all day. So much for the difficulty of a .32....

One other myth to dispel....lots of folks buy into that .32 BP is nothing more then a .22 Magnum. Don't know where that one came from, but it is a very serious round ball load. It blows very big holes in small game - and is much more in the realm of a .22 Hornet (hot loaded)...

I'd like to get it to you a few weeks before the Walking shoot, along with a possible bag full of everything you need. A couple of weeks of practice with this one, and your going to give Revorg a run for his money. :mrgreen:

I'm shootin' that .36 Squirrel gun of mine....just to make sure you don't go home with the Grand Prize...

·
Registered
256 Posts
If I dont dust my shooter off and get in some practice woopin' me wont even be sporting... :lol:

You putting enough powder in that thing to make her crack ?
I'd run about 45 gns in a .32 gun. ;)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
revorg, I'm lookin' forward to this shoot. Think it's going to be a good time even if it is the first one I've done on BP... :) Besides, the cook won't dissapoint!

With a .315 ball and patch, about 40 grains is the max. .37 grains is a good crack, much above 40 and she goes back in the other direction.

For those who don't know, you have to listen to your gun to determine when your hitting the best load...to little and it doesn't make a good "crack shot" and the same goes for to much powder....

giz

·
Registered
256 Posts
I was askin' because slashcat was shooting 25 gns in that .32 at the RNS... just didn't sound right, but he was hitting with it. :cool:

When you set the date give me a yell... I want to get my builder friend to come along.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts