Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! (New member here)

I’ve recently ran into an issue with a new 686 - all parts are factory including springs and the only work done has been some very conservative stoning of the meeting surfaces. The issue itself is the action binding at the very last 1% of the DA pull and it happens maybe once every 3-4 cylinders. I’ve done a painstaking amount of testing to narrow this down; with snap caps no issues. I’ll pull the trigger and it feels like a physical trigger overtravel stop is preventing that last tiny bit of travel before the break. No movement at all so I release the trigger to prevent damage. Cylinder is clearly locked at this point which makes me also eliminate any ammunition binding since it completed successfully. Maybe excessive movement of the hand? But why only with live ammo? This one has me baffled. Hope this is enough for an expert in here to help spot the culprit.

Thanks!

· Super Moderator
16,079 Posts
You might check the surface that the trigger return spring cage is moving over on the frame. That is normally highly polished.

Reactions: 1av8r and msharley

· Registered
12,068 Posts
Welcome to S&W.

Another item....take a real CLOSE LOOK (you can borrow my ANT BURNING glasses) under the "star"/ejector...

A wee bit of crud/powder/debris trapped there? Will play heck to find....

Also? Check the ejector rod for tight....(is left hand thread..plenty vids on youtube)

Item next? Take a good look at the gas seal and the forcing cone...(a bit of lint from a cleaning patch "trapped" can cause a man to pull his hair out) LOL!

Item next (to last?)....check the "window" in the recoil shroud for the hand. Are the hand & "window" free of burrs? (the least little burr is a problem)

Item FIRST! Check the blame ammo! Brass with either "high or loose" primers will jam a revolver.

Those are my wild guesses...

Later, Mark

· Registered
6,623 Posts
A welcome from the friendly skies.

Reactions: msharley

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appreciate all the input everyone,

I’ve now noticed that at a reward angle with the cases against the shield, the hand is pushing the “next in line” case forward into the cylinder. And when it binds, it’s trying to take a minuscule chip off the rim of that next case. I’ll mark the cylinders and repeat to see if it’s a particular timing notch on the cylinder.

Obviously the geometry of the hand or the cylinder ratchet must off to be touching a case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts