Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching something today and the guy mentioned the "dot" game. I have heard the term before.

One of my favorite target activities is to purchase the target sheet with a series of shapes. Squares, circles, triangles and Stars. I never measured it but using a calibrated eyeball I would say the shapes would each fit in a 4"x4" box and there are 4 rows of 5. Each has a number.

I will often choose three and as rapidly as I can put two rounds in each of three shapes. Its fun and eye opening but ... I think there is an "official" exercise regarding the dot game.

Does anyone know what it is? I think its even used in some of the bigger named training institutes. I just ad lib and have fun but .. it would be interesting to know how say a gunsite does it.

·
Registered
22,230 Posts
Jonesy814 and I have done several variations of the Dot( circle)and shape target/reactive drills. It helps with reaction, acquiring and accuracy. We have found that with timed drills there is a "too" fast shooting response that effects accuracy. amazing how a couple of seconds can effect things...especially when adrenaline would be running high in a real situation. Great drill and highly recommended. Jonesy814 would be able to expand more on the drill names, etc...at least the ones we do at the range.

Reactions: Boriqua

·
Registered
12,707 Posts
The most well known is called the Dot Torture drill and the target looks like this:
dotdrill.jpg

You initially shoot it at 3-4 yards. The goal is accuracy, not speed. When you can shoot it perfectly, you move back a couple yards. This one is designed for semi autos.
Here is the revolver version
dottorTDA.png

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool .. and how big are the dots?

·
Registered
12,707 Posts
Cool .. and how big are the dots?
I believe you just print it on standard printer paper and the dots end up about 2 inches I believe.
I made up this one specifically for J frame practice. I call it the "5 Shot Drill".

5shot.jpg

I use standard small sized posterboard which is 14" X 22". The black center circle is 6", one red and one blue are 5 inches and the last red and blue are 4 inches. We shoot this at 15 feet and start with gun holstered or in pocket as normal. You could also start from a low ready position if you have to. When shooter is ready, the other guy yells " THREAT" . Upon hearing that, the shooter begins to raise or draw the weapon. While the shooter is in the midst of drawing the gun, the other guy will now call out either "RED" or "BLUE". The shooter has to shoot the black center circle twice, the correct color of 5 " circle twice and that same color of 4" circle once, which comes to 5 shots. Object is to place all 5 shots in the correct circles as quickly as possible. It is a bit difficult because you dont know where exactly to shoot until the last second and you have to be listening for target info while drawing the gun and you have to be listening and thinking and finding the target while bringing the gun up.
The other one we do just has 4 different colored shapes on it. Latest version will have a triangle in the center to make 5 potential targets
target4a.jpg

for this one, the shooter stands with gun holstered at 15-18 feet. Other guy yells "THREAT" which is the signal to draw. While shooter is drawing the gun the other guy will call out a color, which the shooter attempts to hit with a controlled pair, as quickly as possible. You could also call out a shape and the shooter has to hit both squares or circles. Sometimes we call out 2 colors and shoot 1 shot at each. When you pick out a target in your mind, your brain will kind of do a dry run of what needs to be done and how to do it. You already know just about where you will bring the gun to and how it will be pointed before you actually do it. When you don't have a specific target ahead of time, your brain cant do that so as the gun comes up there is a slight hesitation while you zero in on the specific target. With practice that slight hesitation becomes less and less

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome Jonesy!! Thank you for all the great information. Going to add it to shooting days for some fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts