Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, please forgive me if this is a foolish question but here goes.

Say you have a certain loading manual and it lists a load for the .45 ACP using Bullseye. Starting load is 4.5 grains at 819 fps and max is 5.1 grains at 887 fps. So, there are 0.6 grains and 68 fps difference. Can you then assume that given these figures, that with every 0.1 gr. of powder you will achieve another 11.3 fps?

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
No
I found the rate goes up on a curve

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
There are too many variables in reloading to make blanket statements about velocities obtained.

Over the years I've seen test where 2 identical firearms (S&W 4" M-19's) firing the exact same loads gave velocities that varied as much as 75 FPS from shot to shot.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Velocity and more important pressure do not increase in even increments. Typically they build until you get a "spike" and things get hot real fast. Some powders more than others typically the fast powders that don't fill the case spike much higher. I know from experience in the 38 special using Unique you build then all of a sudden the charge gets much hotter far more than the incremental increase in powder would indicate.

On the other end supposedly with Black powder no matter how much you put in the case pressure and velocity reach a point the extra burns after the bullet has left the barrel. I am not so sure about this and don't recommend overcharging anything.

Boats

1 - 6 of 6 Posts