Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Does the 6 o'clock position barrel make the Chiappa Rhino that much better than a regular revolver?

769 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  The Happy Kaboomer 
#1 ·
I have been having a personal concept designing thing going on for a little bit and I am trying to design the ideal revolver for me. Who knows if I will have the resources and funds to make it a reality one day. A man can dream. However, that is not the focus of my question. I was playing around with the idea that a 6 o'clock position barrel would be neat since it supposedly does a good job of managing recoil. But based off my research, it seems that no competition shooters that I can find use them. Is the design itself more of a gimmick or is there something I am not seeing. I know Chiappa will be releasing a new version at some point supposedly designed for competition called the Match master. Maybe that could change things, but its hard to say. Perhaps the lock work just is not designed to be ran like a competition gun. Curious to see what y'all think.

#4 ·
Yes, the Rhino's have less muzzle climb than many similar weighted revolvers. It's attributed to the lower under barrel, and a lower center of the weight.
They are butt ugly, but shoot nicely. It's nearly impossible to find a well fitting holster for them, because of the shape, and the shaved cylinder.
If I was to build a gun, that would probably be one of the last designs I'd consider building.

#8 ·
I was playing around with the idea that a 6 o'clock position barrel would be neat since it supposedly does a good job of managing recoil. Curious to see what y'all think.
Not recoil, but muzzle rise, a component of recoil due to the barrel axis being much higher than the wrist when shooting. Lowering the axis would tend to push the gun backwards more and upwards less.

Maybe it does work, but the Chiappa Rhino looks like a Klingon disruptor. Not for me.

#9 ·
Theoretically, it is an 'improved' design. However, like the Earth shoes from the 1970s where the heels were lower than the toe section in order to mimic standing on sand/soil, both they and the Chiappa were rather polarizing. Some liked them, others could not stand them.

If they were better in real world application, I suspect that Jerry Miculek would be using them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.