Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have both a Smith & Wesson Model 29, and a Model 25-5 (.45 Colt). Both are blued with 8-3/8" barrels, and were purchased in the late 70's and early 80's. Both came in the wood presentation cases with the plastic molded in "compartments" for the gun and the cleaning rod and mop. As well as the Aluminum handled screwdriver.

Over the years the inserts have deteriorated, and the blue "velvet" fuzz they were coated with was getting all over the gun and everything else. Plus they were cracking from age. So I had no choice but to get rid of them. Does anyone know if S&W sells replacement inserts for these older wooden presentation cases? Or else if there are any aftermarket makers of them? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
There is a gentleman on the blue forum who does amazing work restoring these. I believe he goes by jcelect. That is your best option. There are some YouTube videos that will help you if you want to go the DIY route.

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
I have a wooden case (not for a gun) that I would like to use for my old M-67 no dash. It is a standard K frame, with a 4" bbl. and smooth Presentation Target grips. Can I get the plastic insert made to fit the box dimensions? Who would do this type of work? Bob

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the plastic inserts are vacuum molded over a master mold. (A bit like a jet ski hull is molded, but on a much smaller, less expensive scale). So you would have to have the molding machine, (or access to one), then be able to make the mold it self to form the heated plastic sheet over. It wouldn't be cost or labor effective to do it for one or two pieces.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
I have a wooden case (not for a gun) that I would like to use for my old M-67 no dash. It is a standard K frame, with a 4" bbl. and smooth Presentation Target grips. Can I get the plastic insert made to fit the box dimensions? Who would do this type of work? Bob

Kydex is relatively cheap & youtbe videos abound how to shape it, you could make one fairly easily. Just make sure Donna is away somewhere when you "borrow" her oven... :?

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
I don't know about using Donna's oven. She doesn't go far away.....at all. She doesn't give me enough time to do anything!!!! I would rather pay to have one made......that suffer 'the wrath of Donna'. She hollers at me enough, anyway!!! oja;nnjgapjgj I'm getting close to all I can stand!!!!! :roll: Bob

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
I don't know about using Donna's oven. She doesn't go far away.....at all. She doesn't give me enough time to do anything!!!! I would rather pay to have one made......that suffer 'the wrath of Donna'. She hollers at me enough, anyway!!! oja;nnjgapjgj I'm getting close to all I can stand!!!!! :roll: Bob

Aw just think of the exercise you're giving her lungs... Exercise is good, right? :) Never understood why them wimmenfolks get so upset @ us sweet-natured, kindly guys! ;)

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Aw just think of the exercise you're giving her lungs... Exercise is good, right? :) Never understood why them wimmenfolks get so upset @ us sweet-natured, kindly guys! ;)
I know what you mean. We just celebrated our 26th Anniversary (22 happy years!). I told my wife she didn’t have to do the dishes that day. I mean what the heck, they could wait til the next day.

An iron skillet makes a lousy necktie!

Kevin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts