Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been wanting to add a magnified optic to my AR. It currently has a cheap Truglo red dot on it. I have spent a month researching and looking at scopes.I considered a fixed power prism scope, but the Low Power Variable Optics seem to be a valid option. An LPVO has a true 1X power and they go up to about 10, so you get a 1-4, 1-6, 1-8 or 1-10 scope. Many have illuminated reticles, but the reticle is etched so it is visible with no illumination too. The idea is you use it like a red dot on 1 power, and zoom in for longer shots. I looked at quite a few. You can spend from $100 up to $1500 or more for a real high end model. I was looking for something in the $300 dollar area. The main contenders are the Vortex Strike Eagle, Primary Arms SLX with acss reticle and Swampfox Optics, Tomahawk model.
I decided to start as cheap as I could and still get a nice optic. I chose the Swampfox Tomahawk 1-4x24. Would rather have bought a 1-6 but Optics Planet had this one on sale (14% off) and offered another 10% off on the first order. I also figured that going less expensive won't hurt so much if I really don't care for it, and finally if I really like it, I can move the 1-4 to my 15-22 and get a 1-6 or 1-8 for the AR. Just ordered last night.
Here is a link to the scope. I got the Guerrilla Cross MOA version of the reticle. Was set on the BDC, but studied up on the MOA version and think it will be more versatile
https://www.swampfoxoptics.com/tomahawk-series

Here is the scope
Camera accessory Font Cylinder Automotive tire Household hardware

the reticle
Automotive lighting Font Audio equipment Automotive wheel system Tints and shades

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Circle

and for ranging a target
Rectangle Red Line Font Parallel

a 12" plate at 100 yards, a 12" plate at 200yds, A mans shoulder width at 100, shoulders at 500
Rectangle Sleeve Gesture Font Parallel

This represents a 6 foot tall man at 460 yards. He is 15 MOA tall so 72 X 95.5 =6876 divided by 15(moa) = 458.4, so he is almost at 460 yards. If he went from the lower 16 moa line up to the end of the vertical red hash mark, which is a total of 22 moa, he would be at 312.5 yards, and if his head went to the outer edge of the red horseshoe he would be at 275 yards

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yes sir.

Mine is old school, my cousin's is high end and modern as tomorrow. They WORK.

Wheel Sky Military camouflage Shooting range Vehicle

Joe's optic is a Vortex Razor HD 1-10.
It has a 'Christmas Tree reticle graduated in MOA.
He LOVES it. Rings a lot of steel out to 400. Dials it down to 1 power up close.

Machine gun Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun

Mine is a 1-4 Leopy with a circle dot reticle. It's 20+ years old, still does what I need but I'm about to make a change. I used to run it at at 1x up close. Times were similar to iron sights, so slower than a red dot. Recently I mounted an 8 minute Burris red dot at 45 degrees zeroed at 7 yards. The mount has the dot the same distance over bore as the 1-4 optic so cheek weld does not change when you transition. I keep the magnification all the way up and use the dot at close range. When transitioning between targets at long range I use the dot to find the target with both eyes open and when I tip the optic back I'm looking right at the target through the scope.

I'm so impressed by my 45 degree dot and by Joe's new optic that I have ordered a less expensive Vortex 1-8 Strike Eagle with a very similar reticle to the one you are looking at. My friend John runs the Primary Arms ACSS reticle on all his rifles and won't have anything else.
Plant Botany Wood Natural landscape Trunk

300 yard target. My 6.8 SPC with the 4x optic. I covered the head of the silhouette, bottom edge of the dot at the neck line. I fired 1 round and got the center chest hit (LUCKY!). Based on that I held bottom edge of the dot about 3" over the red swinger (1/2 diameter of the plate). I fired 4 rounds and miraculously got 3 hits. It was last Sunday, my birthday and people were watching! On most days I'd be lucky to do that with one of my scoped bolt actions.

My 4x was the grandpa of all the new LPVOs. Beyond 300 the dot is just too course for anything but large targets. Having seen the PA ACSS and my cousin's Vortex Razor go out to 400 I'm ready to upgrade. My BIL shoots the 1-6 Strike Eagle and likes it so when I saw the 1-8 on clearance I snapped it up.

These new optics really do live up to the hype. Kind of refreshing...

·
Registered
15,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes sir.

Mine is old school, my cousin's is high end and modern as tomorrow. They WORK.

View attachment 522092

Joe's optic is a Vortex Razor HD 1-10.
It has a 'Christmas Tree reticle graduated in MOA.
He LOVES it. Rings a lot of steel out to 400. Dials it down to 1 power up close.

View attachment 522093

Mine is a 1-4 Leopy with a circle dot reticle. It's 20+ years old, still does what I need but I'm about to make a change. I used to run it at at 1x up close. Times were similar to iron sights, so slower than a red dot. Recently I mounted an 8 minute Burris red dot at 45 degrees zeroed at 7 yards. The mount has the dot the same distance over bore as the 1-4 optic so cheek weld does not change when you transition. I keep the magnification all the way up and use the dot at close range. When transitioning between targets at long range I use the dot to find the target with both eyes open and when I tip the optic back I'm looking right at the target through the scope.

I'm so impressed by my 45 degree dot and by Joe's new optic that I have ordered a less expensive Vortex 1-8 Strike Eagle with a very similar reticle to the one you are looking at. My friend John runs the Primary Arms ACSS reticle on all his rifles and won't have anything else.
View attachment 522094

300 yard target. My 6.8 SPC with the 4x optic. I covered the head of the silhouette, bottom edge of the dot at the neck line. I fired 1 round and got the center chest hit (LUCKY!). Based on that I held bottom edge of the dot about 3" over the red swinger (1/2 diameter of the plate). I fired 4 rounds and miraculously got 3 hits. It was last Sunday, my birthday and people were watching! On most days I'd be lucky to do that with one of my scoped bolt actions.

My 4x was the grandpa of all the new LPVOs. Beyond 300 the dot is just too course for anything but large targets. Having seen the PA ACSS and my cousin's Vortex Razor go out to 400 I'm ready to upgrade. My BIL shoots the 1-6 Strike Eagle and likes it so when I saw the 1-8 on clearance I snapped it up.

These new optics really do live up to the hype. Kind of refreshing...
Thanks for confirmation that they work. A 1-6 by Primary Arms with the acss reticle and the Swampfox were my 2 top choices. I must have watched 100 youtube videos on different scopes. The ones that checked both seemed to prefer the Swampfox slightly as having better glass and a brighter reticle. Was tossed up on which reticle to get. Here is the one I did not get, called the Guerrilla Dot BDC
Sleeve Font Circle Rectangle Pattern

Rectangle Font Parallel Auto part Circle

I figure a 1-4 should be ok for me for now. I don't have any place to shoot real long ranges, though I could no doubt find one

·
Super Moderator
19,863 Posts
I have 3 of them. I have a 1-6 Strike Eagle, a 1-8 Strike Eagle, and a Leupold 1-4 Firedot. They're all fine for their intended purpose. I prefer the 1-8 Strike Eagle over the others. About 2 years ago I took the Leupold off and put it back in the box. It's been there ever since. I've considered selling it, but can't figure out how much I would want for it, if I do decide to do so. To me, the 1-4 is just too short on magnification, and it has a 24mm tube. I like the 30mm tubes so much better for the additional range of adjustments in elevation.

Reactions: jonesy814

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Never heard of SwampFox but there's an endless list of budget optics these days. Generally speaking, I think a guy can get a lot of scope for a couple hundred bucks that will well serve non-abusive recreational purposes regardless of what name label is slapped on it.

Most of the guys at the club with LPVO mounted on ARs shoot from the bench at paper. I practice offhand and don't find magnification of benefit. Mostly shoot steel at 50-100yds at various targets. Magnification just slows the transition between targets, although ya can dial down a LPVO to 1x but I don't need all the weight of an LPVO and mount. I also shoot steel at 200yds. I consider my AR a point-and-click non-precision gun for self defense 200yds and under. Aimpoint Micro.

I have a Bushnell 1-4x on a rimfire AR that's probably in the same quality camp as the SwampFox. I like it. As previously mentioned, ya can get a lot of scope these days for a couple hundred bucks. To make the next step up of any significant difference requires about 3x the price just for starters.

Enjoy your new optic.

Machine gun Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts