Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
4,121 Posts
I always use a guide on my rifles to protect the chamber and on revolvers to protect the muzzle. Over years of cleaning , any small nicks or scratches will add up and affect accuracy.

· Registered
135 Posts
I've cleaned with and without a bore guide. On my issued sniper rifles, I always use on. On my personally owned long range guns, always.

On my hunting rifles, 22lr plinkers, M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, AR's, Mausers, Enfields and Moisin Nagants, I don't use a bore guide when cleaning.

· Registered
23,692 Posts
I've looked everywhere but haven't find a .22 bore guide for my bore snake.
I do not ever use a 'Bore Snake'. In fact I have a few that I'd give away if anyone wants them. My reasoning with them is simple. You don't put on dirty clothes after you shower do you? Using a bore snake is tantamount to pulling the dirt back through the bore every time you pull it through and.... I never use brass bore brushes on any bore, always nylon. My patch pullers and jags are all nylon as well and all my cleaning rods (pistol as well) are carbon fiber. I view 'Bore Snakes' as a half arsed way to sort of clean any tube.

Additionally, I always use a bore guide on all my long guns, one with an 'excluder' that fills the entire action and keeps any solvent from leaking into the lower workings. Most 'cleaning solvents' if leaked into the lower actions, will gum them up when they dry, especially aftermarket triggers like Jewel or Timmney's. I want to exclude and solvents from getting into the 'works' and gumming them up.

I had an issue with one of my custom builds and took it back to the builder and the first thing he asked me was if I was using a bore guide / solvent excluder and I sad no and he proceeded to break it sown, remove the action and show me where the solvent had collected and dried in the works and gummed it up. he took the entire action and tanked it in an ultrasonic hot cleaner and showed me the difference before and after and told me to never allow any cleaning solvent to get in the works again so I don't. I imagine factory actions are a lot sloppier but my custom builds aren't.

How I roll. Your mileage may be different.

Reactions: Loubud

· Registered
5,772 Posts
No I don't. I have one, used it a couple times

I got really beat up on another forum from the anal Annies. OMG how awful you are gonna ruin the barrel!
They claim the debris on the cleaning rod will harm the barrel. Or the rod itself. Well I use a carbon fiber rod or aluminum which is softer than a gun barrel metal, No answer to that either,
The anal way to clean is with a bore guid, only push the patch/brush through do not pull it back, remove the patch or brush then reattach and push it through over and over, Sorry not gonna happen for me.
Plus you are not supposed to clean 22 lr for some stupid reason??

I then asked a logical question on how do you clean pistols or revolvers? No bore guide used there, plus they get cleaned from the muzzle end! No one could seem to answer that,:rolleyes:

Don't use bore snakes, they just get dirty and you are running a dirty patch through the bore every time,

· Registered
113 Posts
I do about a dozen gun shows a year all over the country. I get to look at a lot of bores.
I believe that a half-a$$ed attempt at cleaning a bore is better than ignoring the bore, which is gonna happen if cleaning becomes too much effort.
I was taught that we do more damage to our guns cleaning them than we do any other way.
I have used bore guides, but for the most part I simply use a lot of cleaner and patches, and pay close attention to making sure that the rod and patch enter the bore properly.
To me, it is more important that the bore gets clean than how it gets clean.
I like Dewey rods, I like brass brushes. I go through maybe a dozen patches ever time I clean a bore.

· Registered
23,692 Posts
"
I like brass brushes. I go through maybe a dozen patches ever time I clean a bore.

I don't and won't use them for the simple reason that I clean my bores with BTE and BTE reacts with brass bore brushes and produces a false negative as far as copper fouling is concerned. All that ever goes down any of mine is a nylon bristle brush and nylon patch pullers and between the Gradient Lens borescope I own or the cheapo cell phone driven endoscope, they get inspected quite carefully.

Used the endoscope at Cabelas once when my buddy was going to buy a used hunting stick before we had a look see inside and found the barrel lands shot out. That made for a nice price adjustment and I had to rebarrel it for him. Used a Bartlien barrel. I've found that Bartlien's clock very easily and shoot very well at distance.

You won't find one brass brush anywhere in my reloading room.

· Registered
7 Posts
Yes. Since I primraily use a Ruger 10/22, I found a specfic system that goes from barrlee to magazine, with a crown guard and special patch catcher in the magazine well. For the others, I have a Ttipton thru the recever system. .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.