Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
The Japanese were in the process of converting from the Type 38 (6.5X50mm) to the Type 99 (7.7X58mm) at the time WWII started. The 7.7 rifle had a chromed bore and bolt face in order to remain unpitted using the corrosive ammo at the time. Both rifles were workmanlike examples of a bolt action battle rifle and did good service for the Empire, although the Japanese were experimenting with an M1 Garand style rifle towards the end of the war. All that said, both the 38 and the 99 saw extensive use in WWII. The 6.5 was the rifle most carried in China and Mongolia during the pre-WWII battles there.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I still have this rifle, it’s just wrapped in a blanket in my garage. I’ve tried contacting my friend that owns it but he never responds. I did hear from another friend and he told me the owner just retired at the beginning of this year so maybe he will contact me. It is possible that he just doesn’t want it. Thanks for all the info folks.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Funny that the Japs were using the .25 caliber way back then and here we are 80 years later and our military (so I hear) is looking at that caliber as the final best answer after going from .30 to .22 and testing everything in between.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
You have to be careful they made a lot of training rifles that look just like the 38, I have seen several at gun shows and also owned a couple. One way to tell is that the trainers had a one piece stock, the 38s and 99s all had two piece stocks.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
I was just looking at my Honeycutt book on Japanese rifles. He says some of the regular rifles were turned into trainers when they were well used. He shows the three interlocking rings as a training rifle mark. Here's a wb site that should provide some answers. http://www.banzaionline.com/

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
This rifle has a 2 piece stock, at first I thought it had been damaged. And I filled out a data sheet months ago for the owner. There are a couple questions that I couldn’t answer. Here’s pics of the sheet for anyone interested?
View attachment 352949

21 - 27 of 27 Posts