Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about picking one up for cary, I like the size and solid construction, but there not cheap, does anyone have any experiance/opinions about this gun?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Respectfully, why would you take a chance? If it's for serious carry, you want reliability more than anything else.

For the money, you could buy a Glock and a J-frame Smith for backup.

Admittedly, no one I know owns a Micro Desert Eagle. My experience with Magnum Research guns is only through customers and then it was mixed. My impression with all of the Desert Eagles in this series is that they are Designer Guns meant for flash.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sebago Son said:
Respectfully, why would you take a chance? If it's for serious carry, you want reliability more than anything else.

For the money, you could buy a Glock and a J-frame Smith for backup.

Admittedly, no one I know owns a Micro Desert Eagle. My experience with Magnum Research guns is only through customers and then it was mixed. My impression with all of the Desert Eagles in this series is that they are Designer Guns meant for flash.
Yeah I know what you meen, I wasn't talking about using it for my primary cary, but just for those times when you need something small and conveniant that you can stick in your back pocket.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
One of the best kept secrets in the Gun World is the Smith 908. They were part of the "Value Series" Line and you'd think that given the price, they would be spotty.

But mine has NEVER and I mean NEVER jammed. By now, I've fed it thousands of 115 grn & 124 grn JHP's, as well as ball and even some old softpoints, and it just runs and runs....

My son Eric has the Blued model and his perks along just like mine...

This one is mine, a 908S, and while slightly customized by our pal, "Short Ranger", David, it is a fair representation of the type. I carry it regularly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a slick pistol, I have never heard of that modle before. Thanks for the insight, you just gave me a new pistol to consider.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
You won't be sorry.....

The above gun is actually a 908S Frame with a (slightly longer) 910S Slide. Works slick as a weasel. The regular, stock 908 or 908S is actually a little shorter in the snout...

It and the Speer 124 Grn Gold Dot +P LE load brought me back to the 9mm. I had forsaken the 9 since the advent of the .40.

This gun gets carried while my Hi-Powers stay in their Browning Pouches and my 639 is in the safe...

Good Luck in your search!

Drew

·
Registered
9 Posts
If your local dealer has a CS9 or CS45 on the shelf it might be worth a look. I have 2 daily carry guns, a CS45 and a Taurus PT 709 Slim. The Taurus I carry in warmer weather, it hides well under a T shirt if you use an IWB holster. In cooler weather, I prefer to carry a heavier gun and the CS45 fits the bill perfectly. I have found both to be very accurate out to 20 yards. Either the 908 or the CS9 would be a great choice if you prefer a 9mm. If you're OK with an import, the 709 is a great budget gun that conceals easy and shoots great. Stay away from .380's. The ammo is pricey and they have 1/2 the power of a 9mm. Personally, I'd like to see S&W come up with an ultra compact 9mm for CCW use.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
kingofthedemo said:
Thanks for the info guys I will have to check into those models.
Another one you might want to look into is the 3913. Its just a step up from the 908, and just as reliable, boringly so. Its roughly the same size as a J-frame. Here's mine.
3913 & 640

3913 & P225

3913 & daily gear

1 - 11 of 11 Posts