Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have picked up a few over the years and am amazed by the workmanship and quality.This is a pic of two 96mauser's in 6.5x55.Both dated 1903.
The next one is a rolling block in 8x58 cal.
And finally a rabbit eared 12 ga.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Nice Swedes!

My local Cabela's has close to 3 dozen older Husqvarnas for sale in the used racks - SxS shotguns - hammer and hammerless, bolt action sporting rifles, and single shot bolt action .22 LRs. Every time I walk in there, I pick up one of the .22s - most of 'em have nice octagonal barrels and are very attractive and well-made. I may get one for use as a "grandkid" riflery trainer.

xtm

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I have two Swedish Mausers, both are Oberndorf and dated 1900. I also have a 6.5 Swede brass chucker, the Ljungman AG 42B.

All of them are very accurate.

I also have a cousing to the Ljungman, a Hakim.

bob

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
The shorter of the two identified as a Mauser 96, looks like a Swede Model 94 Carbine, can't tell for sure from the picture. I have one, the model 94 with a bayonet that differs significantly from the shorter metal handle bayonet for the longer model 96. The model 94 carbine was a hot item a few years ago, Montgomery Ward had a barrel full of the carbines and they sold out fast, before I had a chance to buy one. I picked mine up years later from a gunsmith friend, he gave me a nice discount but still many more dollars then the $30.oo guns at Montgomery Ward. Nonetheless, nice guns and a good cartridge.

·
Super Moderator
10,857 Posts
Re: Does anybody here collect Swedish rifles?

I have a Bubba'ed '03 96 that I really like shooting. I sure would love to get my hands on one in original configuration one of these days. I have really enjoyed handloading for the 6.5 swede.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
An uncle in Alaska, a commecial fisherman in the Southeast archipelago, loved his Husqvarna '06 sporter, and took everything up to bear with it.

I found it an incredibly well-made arm. I would love to own one in any caliber.

I wonder why they're not imported any more? Or have I missed something?

Bill

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Smithfan,check out SimpsonsLTD.com,they have a good selection of swedish rifles at fair prices.

·
Registered
19,798 Posts
Bill, I just bought a J.C.Higgins (Sears-Roebuck) M-50
('98 Mauser action w/ Hi-Stand barrel and sporter stock, but a cheap scope) that is incredible. kfjdrfirii AND, the price was in the $200 -$250 ranger! My kind of value. ;)
Great shooter and great, quality rifle, too. Do a little Googling to really appreciate this one. I believe Chuck Hawks has written several articles, and so have other people. It is rated with the best available. Bob

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, fellers. And by all means, don't misunderstand: moderately priced because it doesn't carry a "big" name sure doesn't mean it's short on quality.

One of my legacy arms is a bolt-action .410 shotgun that I inherited from my dad. It is a "Ranger", which was sold thru Sears or Western Auto or sombody prior to WWII. I think it was actually made by Savage or Stevens. It is an honest working man's arm, not fancy, but a quite well-made, sturdy, serviceable arm, and it provided many a squirrel and rabbit for the pot when I was a kid.

Bill

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
This post is my Swede Mauser Model 94, 6.5 x 55 cavalry carbine with Mauser Bayonet. I alluded to this carbine in a earlier post but decided to post a picture. These handy short carbines are seldom seen anymore.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
No, I don't collect them, but I have three. Two standard rifles - 1901 & 1908 dated receivers and one that has been shortened and converted to .308 caliber. The two unmessed with rifles have all matching numbers. All three are more accurate than I'll ever be.

Sadly, I missed one this very day. I missed it by about five minutes. The joker who got there before me was filling out the 4473 while I was looking at a 5906. The S&W came home with me. Had I been there earlier, I'd have had both of them. Get this, the Swede went for $149.00 plus tax! It had a receiver date of 1924. tnbtlaa

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
It had a receiver date of 1924.
Bad luck, QC!

My guess is, it was/is an incredibly well-made arm; the barreled action would be a natural to turn into a sporter, 'less you are a MilSurp fan.

bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts