Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given the current situation, I am sure many of us are taking what we can get. However, given the choice do you have a manufacturer preference for primers?

I like Federal when I can get them. What say you?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I preferred Winchester primers for many years because I never had a dud. Shortly after Winchester quit applying the nickle plating, I started finding a few duds here and there, so I switched over to buying CCI. Since then, I've never found a dud CCI primer, yet.

At this point in time, I'd buy any brand that presents itself - including Magtech and Wolf...

xtm

·
Registered
47 Posts
I prefer the Federal for my revolvers. If you have a tuned DA revolver for sporting use, the Federals are more sensitive, giving you that extra margin of reliability. Of course for social work you don't tune it that light. Other than that issue, I can't tell any difference, reliability or accuracy wise with any make primer. Right now beggars can't be choosers.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I run CCI military primers for the 06 and 5.56 loads. Should protect you from slam fires.
I like Federal primers, but I had a few duds with cold weather with 39 gns of H110 in the 500. Winchester LG Pistol primers at one time were running big, as the primers were harder to seat.

I like CCI the best, but they are hard. You need proper springs...

Nothing is perfect.

·
Registered
297 Posts
For MANY months I've had Wolf primers on order through Grafs...I have not seen the primers. Last week when they told me Magtech primers were due in any day...I switched all outstanding orders to Magtech.

I picked up 7 cases (several of us bought primers together) this past week...

I prefer these primers over "virtual" primers.

Bob

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have two bf drop block single shot pistols, that i use in ihmsa silhouette shooting. the ONLY
primers i can use in these guns are federal 205 small rifle primers. If you try ANY other primers, you will get multiple mis-fires. these are the original guns made by burt stringfellow and his wife. the newer ones made by e. arthur brown might fire other primers, but these two
wont1

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ken,
I've had great success with Wolf LP & SP. I also have hade great luck with Magtech SR, LP & SP.

Buy with confidence.

Bob

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I've been using nothing but Winchester for years, Large rifle for the 06(Garand), Large Pistol for the .45ACP, 45Colt and 44mag. Small pistol for the 38/357s. Never had a dud.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a tendency to use Federal small pistol and CCI large pistol primers. Usually Federal in my rifle loads.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts