Smith And Wesson Forums banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
My collecting desires are limited, I look for P&R K and N frame magnums from 1957 to 1982, and I don't seek out nickel plated guns at all. However, when I can't find a blued one like I want, but a nickel gun in pristine shape shows up in the model I want within a price range I can afford., I'll take it.
The Model 19-5 I mentioned above in Post #38 falls into the very same situation. I'd been searching for an early blued Model 19 in 4" practically forever (and I still don't own one to this day) when that nickel-plated one showed up and I thought maybe better nickel than nothing. With the sale I mentioned, it became affordable for me and so off I went. But that really close final inspection I did before committing revealed finish damage that I hadn't seen before in more casual inspections. I passed. :(

·
Registered
15,635 Posts
I notice you didn't list any older nickel-plated guns. :unsure: Hard enough as it is to find flawless (or near flawless) vintage blued guns for the collection, I've just found it even harder to find truly flawless nickel-plated guns... and I'm just not the kind of guy who is inclined to buy nickel-plated guns with finish problems, even minor ones. :( Why would I want to do that?

But again, this is where stainless steel shines as the most practical finish. Minor finish/cosmetic problems can be fixed in a jiffy, usually right at home for near zero cost. And in a worst case scenario, the local gunsmith can bring them back to "as-new" for relatively short money. With few exceptions (usually on semi-autos), it doesn't take sending them back to the factory or elsewhere for refinishing.
Again, I agree about nickel finishes with defects. I would rather see a gun with worn blueing than one with flaking nickel. I could find no faults in the M10-7 I got, and that is why I bought it

·
Registered
113 Posts
Stainless, hands down. I love a color case hardened frame with a blued barrel and cylinder, think I have 4 now, but they are just too much of a pita to refinish. Stainless, sand, buff done, and I can get near nickel finish if I wish. Vast majority is stainless.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I first revolver in law enforcement was a model 19. I did some work on a marine patrol and ultimately swapped for a 66 mainly for the ease of maintenance. Both had glass smooth actions. I sold that first 66 about 25 years ago and finally replaced it with a 66-2 this year. In my hand it feels like it never left!
Pat

·
Registered
15 Posts
Personally, I like stainless guns for the ease of cleaning and durability. However, I think blued guns are much better looking. It's been said and I agree, "Stainless has durability and Blue has Soul".

What's your thoughts..............???

Here's a stainless 4" N-Frame Model 25 v/s 4" N-Frame Model 625 (different grips & front sights.....sorry).

View attachment 532858

View attachment 532860
Interesting question for me, just bought a 629-3 6-1/2 barrel. Its first ss Smith I've ever owned and I've been shooting S&W magnum revolvers since the mid 70's. The gun was as advertised with one exception, the barrel was advertised as bright and shiny but I don't think they could tell because is was very dirty. Once I cleaned it, which took me 45 minutes to clean the barrel, it was bright and shiny. I've since put a 100 rounds through it and it shoots as good as any of my Smiths. But to answer the question I guess I'm old fashioned and prefer blued guns especially the bluing Smith and Wesson used to put on their guns

·
Registered
41 Posts
I love the old bluing! Deep and shiny blue that you can look deep into. The new process (black) is ugly. Stainless is durable and shiny, but I still prefer the old Blue!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Personally, I like stainless guns for the ease of cleaning and durability. However, I think blued guns are much better looking. It's been said and I agree, "Stainless has durability and Blue has Soul".

Here's a stainless 4" N-Frame Model 25 v/s 4" N-Frame Model 625 (different grips & front sights.....sorry).

View attachment 532858

View attachment 532860

I feel the same way. I have stainless S&W and blued S&W 44Magnum and a stainless Model 66. The stainless are pretty but the blued 29 is downright gorgeous. Compared to my stainless Charter Arms Stainless Professional 357mag (yes they make them. I have one). The blued 29 would win a beauty pageant.

I have not found the S&W66 and Charter Arms that much easier the clean than the highly polished blue guns, but then I don't shoot the Blued guns as much as the stainless steels.

There is an exception to how much I shoot my blued handguns. I have 4 barrels for a Contender that are just as highly polished and blued as many of my Smiths. I shoot the contender a lot.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I carry a Model 640 or Model 60 when I walk. Both are stainless which I take to be more weather resistant. These are 2" barrels.
My Model 986 is a matte, stainless finish.
My Model 686 is stainless with a 6" barrel.
My 686 Plus is stainless with a 3" barrel.

We don't see a lot of blued, S&W revolvers so I can't purchase any. The 686 has a full underlug which I don't like and I would like to find a blued 6" .357 Magnum without a full underlug. Not much choice in my area. So, if a 686 Plus shows up, I will get it.

·
Registered
13 Posts

View attachment 532858

View attachment 532860
[/QUOTE

61 - 80 of 86 Posts