Smith And Wesson Forums banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
15,635 Posts
Stainless made nickel obsolete IMHO. Wouldn't even think of buying a nickel-plated gun today under any circumstances. :unsure:
I normally would agree that stainless has made nickel obsolete, however when I got the chance to purchase this 10-7 about 4 years ago for $449, out the door, I decided it wouldn’t hurt to have one nickel plated revolver in the bunch
Air gun Trigger Wood Revolver Gun barrel
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Mammal

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
As far as that goes, you'd be hard-pressed to find a truly flawless blued finish. The two guns I posted above, the M29-2 was oxidized and grungy when I found it, no telling how long it had been stored in that presentation case. It took me almost 4 hours of work to get it shiny again, with an old diaper and some Flitz. There was a fingerprint on the yoke that I worked on for over two hours alone before it finally cleaned off. The M25 was really clean but smudged from all the handling at the gun show where I found it. All it took was a silicone cloth and then a diaper to get it looking perfect. No scratches, no chips on either gun.
Oh, I've done quite well over the years with high-grade (LNIB) blued guns and stainless steel guns. The beauty of stainless steel is that you can bring them right back to "like new" with relatively little effort if they need it. (y) :giggle:(y)

Blued is another matter, and so I always go from the highest condition possible. I won't buy any blued S&W revolver with corrosion, pitting or Bubba damage that I'm not capable of fixing myself. I've tried to buy some cosmetically-challenged ones cheap enough to justify a refinishing job, but so far that idea has not worked out.

There are some great nickel-plated guns out there. I remember some J-Frames I found that were absolute jewels. They just weren't right for me. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I normally would agree that stainless has made nickel obsolete, however when I got the chance to purchase this 10-7 about 4 years ago for $449, out the door, I decided it wouldn’t hurt to have one nickel plated revolver in the bunch
View attachment 533002 View attachment 533003
Beautiful for sure! (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) It reminds me of the J-Frames I mentioned above. :giggle:

·
Registered
15,635 Posts
A lot depends on the gun model. Some just demand one finish over the other. :)
This seems to be true. The tapered profile of the barrel of my model 15-3 begs for a blued finish. I lean towards the easier care of a stainless finish but won’t turn up my nose at a blued one
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

I prefer the L frame in stainless

Revolver Air gun Green Trigger Gun barrel

J frames, either will do
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Revolver Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Revolver Style Gun barrel

K frames work either way. Depends on the gun.
I like my blued Highway Patrolman, but if I ran into a 4 inch model 28 refinished in hard chrome I wouldn’t pass it up
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

My least favorite finish would be the matte stainless like on my 625 & 60 pro

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
This seems to be true. The tapered profile of the barrel of my model 15-3 begs for a blued finish. I lean towards the easier care of a stainless finish but won’t turn up my nose at a blued one
View attachment 533007
I prefer the L frame in stainless

View attachment 533008
J frames, either will do
View attachment 533009
View attachment 533010
K frames work either way. Depends on the gun.
I like my blued Highway Patrolman, but if I ran into a 4 inch model 28 refinished in hard chrome I wouldn’t pass it up View attachment 533013
My least favorite finish would be the matte stainless like on my 625 & 60 pro
:whistle:
Hey Jonesy,

Fine Stable!

Since yinz ain't lovin' that 625....yinz can jes send it here....I'll take good care of it....🤣

Later, Mark...

·
Super Moderator
35,991 Posts
By what we have the most of here, blued steel and wooden grips! Blue has a classier elegant look than stainless steel, but I admit stainless is a better finish resistance to elements wise so less worrying about that. Interesting enough my favorite Smith:

Is the 686 plus here with a matte finish as factory lettered.

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
4,028 Posts
I am not a stainless guy. Just a saying but no. ;)

Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson voted all in for the blued guns:
Air gun Gun barrel Trigger Material property Gun accessory

I'd say maybe 90% for the nickel guns:
Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Everyday carry

I've never owned one of them stainless guns, but I'd be willing to test one in honor of Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson. 😀

·
Registered
21,893 Posts
I have a Stainless 625 as it is used a lot and easy to maintain and is brushed not bright. However, a few more Stainless for your eyes
Colt 32 Police Positive
Revolver Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel

S&W 581
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood

S&W 57
Air gun Trigger Blue Revolver Gun barrel

Pair of Colt Official Police from same retired LEO
Revolver Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel

Uberti 1873 Old West Finish(none of the mentioned finishes)
Air gun Revolver Trigger Wood Shotgun

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yinz'll figure the rest of the pics out...which brings another question? To Flute? Or not to Flute?
Later, Mark
I'm not a big fan of the unfluted cylinders, it looks heavy and unfinished, but then I've always owned and shot revolvers with fluted cylinders, so that's what I'm used to seeing.

What is the engraving on the right side of your M25-5? That's a beautiful gun.

@TTSH: I've been very fortunate when finding revolvers with almost perfect finishes. Three that I found (blue M27-2, blue M58"S" prefix, and stainless M66-1) were new in the box, unfired since the factory, and had been safe queens, The others were just well-cared for, and I'm trying to keep the tradition going under my ownership.

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the unfluted cylinders, it looks heavy and unfinished, but then I've always owned and shot revolvers with fluted cylinders, so that's what I'm used to seeing.

What is the engraving on the right side of your M25-5? That's a beautiful gun.

@TTSH: I've been very fortunate when finding revolvers with almost perfect finishes. Three that I found (blue M27-2, blue M58"S" prefix, and stainless M66-1) were new in the box, unfired since the factory, and had been safe queens, The others were just well-cared for, and I'm trying to keep the tradition going under my ownership.
Hey HT,

That is a "HORSE THIEF"....

The "unfluted" is cool. I have an 8-3/8" 629 that is unfluted...and a 7-1/2" Ruger Bisley...

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I notice you didn't list any older nickel-plated guns. :unsure: Hard enough as it is to find flawless (or near flawless) vintage blued guns for the collection, I've just found it even harder to find truly flawless nickel-plated guns... and I'm just not the kind of guy who is inclined to buy nickel-plated guns with finish problems, even minor ones. :( Why would I want to do that?

But again, this is where stainless steel shines as the most practical finish. Minor finish/cosmetic problems can be fixed in a jiffy, usually right at home for near zero cost. And in a worst case scenario, the local gunsmith can bring them back to "as-new" for relatively short money. With few exceptions (usually on semi-autos), it doesn't take sending them back to the factory or elsewhere for refinishing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I notice you didn't list any older nickel-plated guns.
My collecting desires are limited, I look for P&R K and N frame magnums from 1957 to 1982, and I don't seek out nickel plated guns at all. However, when I can't find a blued one like I want, but a nickel gun in pristine shape shows up in the model I want within a price range I can afford., I'll take it. This is what happened with the M25-5 I just bought. Sure, it isn't a magnum, but it is a large-bore revolver, and almost half my handgun "collection" is .40 or larger; two .40S&W, a 10mm Auto, a .45 Auto, two .41 Magnums and a .44 Magnum (also nickel) and now the .45 Colt.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I prefer blue for the aesthetics and don’t like flashy guns. I prefer to keep a low profile especially with carry guns. That said I own a real nice chrome 10-5 as well as a blued one with serious holster wear, both are great shooters. I am an odd collector who prefers to preserve guns who have seen hard use. Not junk guns, just workhorse’s my favorite is a phosphor finished victory model lend lease. Nothing I would carry but it looked like it need a good home after long hard work. It is not worn out but shows heavy wear both shooting and carrying. Still in time and locks up good, I wish it could talk! I am sure it would be interesting.
I also have some other guns both long and otherwise some bought new for a hunting or shooting need (or want) but most are used military, none a real collector would be interested in but I like them and that’s what counts.
Generally I buy a gun that “ speaks” to me so I have to bring it home. I have even bought guns in very poor shape in order to fix them up and get them shooting again. Me problem is I can’t let them go after getting them running again!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Generally I buy a gun that “ speaks” to me so I have to bring it home. I have even bought guns in very poor shape in order to fix them up and get them shooting again. Me problem is I can’t let them go after getting them running again!
I feel your pain.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Personally, I prefer stainless steel because of its durability. I think that a deep-blued gun’s much more attractive, but once it gets wear-marks, aka: “patina” – not so much. My 460V’s highly polished, as is my 686 4”. My wife’s 620 4” is in its original matte finish – her gun, her choice. Our shared Taurus Judge’s in its original matte finish, too – our gun, her choice (you coulda seen that comin’…). And, her Lady Smith was a mistake, she hates it, and I don’t like it, either (even with full-sized grips), so it just sits in the box.

·
Premium Member
12,409 Posts
I have no preference whatsoever but I do have a lot more blue than SS or Nickel.

·
Premium Member
13,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Personally, I prefer stainless steel because of its durability. I think that a deep-blued gun’s much more attractive, but once it gets wear-marks, aka: “patina” – not so much. My 460V’s highly polished, as is my 686 4”. My wife’s 620 4” is in its original matte finish – her gun, her choice. Our shared Taurus Judge’s in its original matte finish, too – our gun, her choice (you coulda seen that comin’…). And, her Lady Smith was a mistake, she hates it, and I don’t like it, either (even with full-sized grips), so it just sits in the box.
That Lady Smith sounds like "Trade Material" to me...........

41 - 60 of 86 Posts