Smith And Wesson Forums banner
21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Stainless made nickel obsolete IMHO. Wouldn't even think of buying a nickel-plated gun today under any circumstances. :unsure:
I like nickel (it's just dang purdy) unless it's starting to chip/peel or become dull, I like blue (it's got soul), I like stainless for it's durability........

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I like nickel (it's just dang purdy) unless it's starting to chip/peel or become dull...
Oh, I agree. It can be purdy as Hell! :) You should see my LNIB Beretta 84FS (my one conventional nickel-plated gun)! Damn thing is a true work of art! :giggle:

But every nickel-plated S&W revolver I've looked at (i.e., considered buying) has had some level... very minor to pretty bad... of chipping, pitting, scratches and/or spots of dullness that completely turn me off. :(

I just can't get into guns that have even minor defects in the plating... just not my thang. :unsure:

·
Registered
31,381 Posts
I like both SS and blued, however, that being said you cannot beat the finish of the older blued revolvers. Used to think that the Blued revolvers were more of a hassle to clean but that thinking soon disappeared...just need to care for them a little differently.
A couple of my blued revolvers...the 6" 28-2 was refinished prior to me obtaining it. The model 19-4 has the best blued finish of them all.
Model 28-2 4"
Revolver Gesture Eyewear Bullet Wood

Model 28-2 6"
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

Model 19-4
Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Wood

·
Super Moderator
14,031 Posts
Stainless is easier to maintain, and I like it for a gun that I intend to use at the range.

For a self defense firearm (used in the home or for every day carry) I don't want something bright or shiny. I prefer black color (blued steel, Nitron, etc. finish) firearms for those purposes.

·
Premium Member
13,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Stainless is easier to maintain, and I like it for a gun that I intend to use at the range.

For a self defense firearm (used in the home or for every day carry) I don't want something bright or shiny. I prefer black color (blued steel, Nitron, etc. finish) firearms for those purposes.
Yep, back in the day (before stainless guns) we used to say about nickel & chrome guns, "Glows In The Dark".......smile

·
Super Moderator
14,031 Posts
Better for the "flash" to not be the first thing an attacker sees...

·
Premium Member
13,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
But every nickel-plated S&W revolver I've looked at (i.e., considered buying) has had some level... very minor to pretty bad... of chipping, pitting, scratches and/or spots of dullness that completely turn me off. :(

I just can't get into guns that have even minor defects in the plating... just not my thang. :unsure:
Not every nickel revolver has defects of the finish, there are lots that don't (but ya gotta look harder for 'em).............like this pre war 38/44 Heavy Duty.

BTW, this beaut came from a forum member in Death Valley (insider joke).

Revolver Product Air gun Trigger Shotgun

Air gun Revolver Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
This thread has had me thinking more about stainless vs blued and think I understand something about my preferences. As mentioned, there is an obvious advantage to stainless and my serious bullseye/precision shooting is done with stainless. However, there is something blue collar about a blued gun that draws me in. Especially a blued revolver that has been carried in a duty holster and it shows. I'm talking about that noticeable holster wear, but with most of its finish intact. The one that's been kept clean - that was treated with care. The one its previous owner counted on. The one I could count on as my carry gun. That kind of blue.

·
Premium Member
13,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
This thread has had me thinking more about stainless vs blued and think I understand something about my preferences. As mentioned, there is an obvious advantage to stainless and my serious bullseye/precision shooting is done with stainless. However, there is something blue collar about a blued gun that draws me in. Especially a blued revolver that has been carried in a duty holster and it shows. I'm talking about that noticeable holster wear, but with most of its finish intact. The one that's been kept clean - that was treated with care. The one its previous owner counted on. The one I could count on as my carry gun. That kind of blue.
That's a definition of what I refer to as "Soul", add a bit of user wear and it can become "Character".

·
Registered
21,893 Posts
I have more Blued guns than Stainless so I will say reason is I feel on an older gun the bluing is just deeper and classier. All my newer guns are stainless (2000 and newer). I have one Dan Wesson which has gone plum and that is soul and character to me. However, overall best thing is they all shoot very nicely. I do have one Cimmaron in Nickel but is just plain purty.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
145 Posts
Stainless made nickel obsolete IMHO. Wouldn't even think of buying a nickel-plated gun today under any circumstances. :unsure:
I used to feel that way, but have mellowed somewhat. Certainly, if I have a choice between two guns to buy, one nickel and one blue and otherwise identical in condition, I'll take the blued one always, but a few nickeled guns in a pile of blue ones makes for a nice contrast. My two nickel S&W's, one is a M29-2 50th Anniversary NCHP Commemorative from 1979, the other is a M25-5 from 1980
Revolver Air gun Blue Trigger Gun barrel

Air gun Revolver Wood Trigger Gun barrel

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I used to feel that way, but have mellowed somewhat. Certainly, if I have a choice between two guns to buy, one nickel and one blue and otherwise identical in condition, I'll take the blued one always, but a few nickeled guns in a pile of blue ones makes for a nice contrast. My two nickel S&W's, one is a M29-2 50th Anniversary NCHP Commemorative from 1979, the other is a M25-5 from 1980 View attachment 532991
View attachment 532993
Very nice! (y) Maybe I should put it this way: For me to buy a truly flawless vintage S&W N-frame in nickel would cost me more than my whole S&W revolver collection is currently worth. Key words: "Truly flawless" :unsure:

A quick story: My last "weakness" when it came to considering buying a nickel-plated S&W was a vintage Model 19-5 back in July of 2018 (yes, I'm anal enough that I even track & record the guns I don't buy). It was at a shop that is a quite long drive away for me. It's a real effort to get there. I went down to see it initially when first advertised... and then I went back two more times... the last time after a price break and with the determined intent of buying no matter what. But in the end, I just couldn't do it. I found the tiniest flaws (chips) imaginable in the nickel plating, but I knew they'd only get worse in time and with use. To most people, it probably looked like a perfectly fine gun. To me, it was a plating problem just waiting to get worse on me.

Bottom line: I am too picky... too anal retentive... to ever buy a used nickel-plated S&W revolver. I'd find plating flaws for certain... I guarantee it... and they would drive me batty. o_O

·
Registered
145 Posts
Very nice! (y) Maybe I should put it this way: For me to buy a truly flawless vintage S&W N-frame in nickel would cost me more than my whole S&W revolver collection is currently worth. Key words: "Truly flawless" :unsure:
Bottom line: I am too picky... too anal retentive... to ever buy a used nickel-plated S&W revolver. I'd find plating flaws for certain... I guarantee it... and they would drive me batty. o_O
As far as that goes, you'd be hard-pressed to find a truly flawless blued finish. The two guns I posted above, the M29-2 was oxidized and grungy when I found it, no telling how long it had been stored in that presentation case. It took me almost 4 hours of work to get it shiny again, with an old diaper and some Flitz. There was a fingerprint on the yoke that I worked on for over two hours alone before it finally cleaned off. The M25 was really clean but smudged from all the handling at the gun show where I found it. All it took was a silicone cloth and then a diaper to get it looking perfect. No scratches, no chips on either gun.

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
We'll try this again...(got the Can & String Rip Off Co, internet dis service here...the strings wuz all tied in a fool knot...like they fool haids...knothaids! that is! anyone that got windstream is getting RIPPED OFF BIG TIME! :mad: )

I have had this 625 with the 8-3/8" LC Barrel for a long time...built by Al Greco. The barrel is electroless nickel... Dave is going to have his previously shown revolver done in electroless nickel at some point.

Got the 8-3/8" 586 a couple years ago....youngest son got the 7" 7 Shooter two years ago. The 5-7/8" No Dash Sq. Butt followed me home on Monday...

Yinz'll figure the rest of the pics out...which brings another question? To Flute? Or not to Flute?

Later, Mark

Attachments

21 - 40 of 86 Posts