Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To go along with the N frame picture thread, here's a question.
Do you carry a big bore for a primary handgun?
To be honest with you I don't. Most of the time it's the complete opposite, I carry a Mod 60 or 36.
I know your suppose to pick a gun, practice with it and stick to it. But time of year dictates what kind of clothing you wear. With cooler weather maybe a bigger handgun could be carried comfortably - and concealed better. I'm thinking about somethin' a little bigger.

I've put a slim set of stocks on this 629-4, got a simple holster and a wide leather belt.

As you know, it's not too bad with 44 spl.( WW SilverTips shown). And it fits close to the hip.

With a windbreaker or jean jacket it pretty much disapears BUT it's still a heavy revolver.
Well after all that longwinded intro to my carry plan, do you ever put a big gun on in case you want to pull a big gun out?

GGF

·
Registered
593 Posts
Yes. IWB no less. I cannot tolerate such a big revolver hangin off my belt. Due to my body shape, revolvers (even N frames) are MUCH more comfortable IWB.

I don't carry N frames as much as I do K frames, but not because of the weight. The cylinder's diameter is more of the comfort issue plus the fact that some N frames do not point as naturally as the K frame.

Here's how it's done:

3" 29-3 in Lobo Gunleather IWB

629-4 Mountain Gun in Comp-Tac CTAC:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VERY COOL!
I never though IWB would work with an N frame. I'd have to go a little bigger on pant size because there's barely enough room for ME in my briches. nhvaoavo

Do IWB holsters put the grip into your ribs?

GGF

·
Registered
593 Posts
Pants size: yes, you must buy trousers one size too big. If you wear a 36, get 38s.

Ribcage: no, the pistol rides just behind the hipbone. Square butt guns with combat or target grips do poke a bit due to the square edges at the toe and heel. Round butt guns ride like a dream. They literally fit in the hollow of your torso just behind the hip bone.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I did for a while... a model 28 Highway Patrolman at that.... but then again, it was the only good gun I had.... I stopped once I got m first 2 1/2" Model 19.... that was 1977.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Agreed, the K frame is MUCH more user friendly.

My 4" 65-8 is my near constant companion, stoked with old-school Remington 125 grain Magnums.

Reactions: Nrah

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
No. My trousers would be down around my knees in about five seconds. I've got snake hips and a chimpanzee butt. Don't even think about suspenders. My trousers would be up under my armpits and all my tender sensibilities would be bruised and un-usable. I won't even mention the massive, nuclear option wedgie. All a belt does is delay the inevitable.

·
Registered
784 Posts
My daily carry piece is a 325 NG. It goes into a Don Hume J.I.T. Slide holster. Not as heavy as my Model 66 2.5".

·
Registered
273 Posts
I carry this 3 inch 625 sometimes. Use a Milt Sparks PMK. Need something large to cover though winter time under a big coat it's fine. It weighs about the same as a full size 1911 but sticks out from my belt more.

Boats

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I ran a thread some time ago about "If you could have but one S&W
revolver what would your choice be."

I figured a 44 magnum would handle any chore I could immagine for a handgun and it could also shoot 44 specials for anything from plinking to serious defence loads.

I had a choice between my 4 inch model 29-2 or my 44 Mag Mountain Gun. The Moutain 629 won on two counts: (1) It was stainless steel,
(2) It could conceal easier.

That said, I haven't seriously tried to carry an N-frame concealed - But
if that was all I had, well I'd carry it that way. Luckily I have other S&W's for that chore.

Hank

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I sound like a broken record, but I'm of the mind that with the proper holster, one can carry just about anything effectively.

I often carry a 4" Redhawk in a Simply Rugged pancake. It rides high and tight and the grip tends to disappear. I'm fairly tall and even more fairly fat, so I can get away with wearing gigantic t-shirts under which I could hide an AH-1 if I so pleased. :lol:

I may be in the process of procurring a 4" 629. Weighing significantly less than the Redhawk, I can't imagine that it's not a dream to carry.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
My 624 with a SimplyRugged holster and a flannel shirt, carries and conceals very well.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I have carried my 629 Mountain Gun in the El Paso Saddlery "Crosshair" concealed but only out in the woods when both were somewhat new to me. It was very comfortable and pulled up and in very snug under my arm. I'll try some around town as well when the weather cools off a bit. Downside is, as has been mentioned, it's heavy. I may have to find a suitable rock and hang it off my left side to keep from listing port. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I mostly carry a full-sized Gov't Model in a Rosen IWB. I'm 6 foot and weigh 186 and nobody ever notices I'm carrying. Now, I do have trouble with the Cylinder on my 66 printing if I'm not careful what shirt I wear. I carry the 66 over my left hip and the 1911 just behind it. I do have a FIST Horizontal Small of the back I'm going to try with the 1911 this fall.

·
Registered
593 Posts
LeMat said:
I sound like a broken record, but I'm of the mind that with the proper holster, one can carry just about anything effectively.
Don't forget the belt. It is equally crucial to success.

Reactions: Motorman and Nrah

·
Registered
593 Posts
DaveWW said:
I mostly carry a full-sized Gov't Model in a Rosen IWB. I'm 6 foot and weigh 186 and nobody ever notices I'm carrying. Now, I do have trouble with the Cylinder on my 66 printing if I'm not careful what shirt I wear. I carry the 66 over my left hip and the 1911 just behind it. I do have a FIST Horizontal Small of the back I'm going to try with the 1911 this fall.
First, try moving the 66 to where you carry the 1911. The hipbone (which is right under where you carry the 66 now) only accentuates the cylinder.

Unlike you, I find revolvers infinitely easier to conceal.

The squarish contours of semi-autos make it very difficult for me to hide one without printing, particularly with full-sized service pistols like my 915 and M&P9. The M&P9c is better, but none of them are as easy for me to conceal as a round butt K frame.

In fact, when I go someplace where I absolutely do not want to be made, I carry revolvers.

The only time I've been made was carrying my M&P9 in a Raven Concealment Phantom OWB under a wool sport coat. I leaned over a bit over the wash basin to clean my hands in the theater's mens room and I saw in the mirror the eyes of the guy behind me bug out. Right away I knew he saw the pistol print.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
I don't have one, but.......a shoulder rig would be the best bet for a larger gun. (I like the K frames for usual carry, and a J frame for summer wear, or in a pocket at other times.) The holster and gun should vary according to the situation. Sometimes it's not practical to carry a big gun.....like in the summer, when you wear less clothing.

Just because it looks OK, when you're standing in front of the mirror, doesn't mean it's concealed when your out, moving around. But, for the most part, people just don't pay too much attention to others they pass on the street. You could probably (note the correct spelling guys :lol: ) get away with a lot more than you would imagine.

However, trained, professional, Law Officers do know what to look for.......so ya' better watch out!!!! A person's behavior when he's carrying a gun, is often a dead giveaway!!! So.....stop checking your gun, or pulling up your pants!!!! :lol: Bob

·
Registered
593 Posts
Bob, a loose fitting square cut button down shirt worn untucked will hide an N frame on my 5' 9" 185 lb frame. Easy.

The speedloader pouch prints more than the belt. But people carry all kinds of crap (cellphones, etc) on their belt so it does not look out of place.

And I do turn and move in front of the mirror wearing a gun. That's how I know it is easier for me to hide a wheelgun over a semi.

You are, however, absolutely right that most people are completely oblivious to the world.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
This is my 45 ACP, my primary carry piece. And a Safariland holster that is beginning to show it's age.

I plan to replace the Safariland with a Simply Rugged pancake holster. Previously I have used the pancakes with the belt run through the loops so the holster is between the belt and the trousers. It holds the kit more securely and is a bit easier to conceal.

·
Registered
593 Posts
StrawHat said:
Previously I have used the pancakes with the belt run through the loops so the holster is between the belt and the trousers. It holds the kit more securely and is a bit easier to conceal.
I'm definitely going to give that method a try today.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts