1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which look better? ;) :D

Model2802a.jpg Model28-2AC1.jpg Model28-2.jpg Model28-2AC.jpg

Pachmayr vs Altamont "Cokes."

Gun is a 1966-67 "S" prefix, Model 28-2.

I "found" the Altamont's in a desk drawer. I had sort of forgotten about them.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? I'm sort of surprised. I didn't think the Pachmayr's would get a single vote. Not that I'm disagreeing with you at all. I like the Pach's too, especially for shooting. Pach's look like "serious business" to me.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
The Altamont Cokes of course. I have them on several of my N-Frames. I can’t afford the S&W original Cokes pricing silliness. Nice looking Model 28 by the way.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Table decorations.jpg
When all else fails, your gun, your grips, your hand, shoot what feels the best. I just don't like Pachs. Hogue mono grips feel much better in my hand. The wood grips are beautiful and do look much better. When I start selling, the original grips will be in the pictures with a note that a set of Hogue's are included. I have a storage container of identified wood grips.

I bought a 6" M19 and M586 with Patridge front sights to get the grips. Both guns now wear Hogues.

·
Super Moderator
19,704 Posts
I prefer the Pach's.
The only reason I chose them was the Altamont's would look better in a much darker stain. I think the color is too light.

GQ

Reactions: CajunBass

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, actually I'm just sort of showing off. The Altamont's are probably going to stay. I look at my guns a lot more than I shoot them, and the Altamont's do look better.

I've had them for some time, but they didn't really fit the gun I'd purchased them for. I was really disappointed and tossed them into a drawer and more or less forgot about them. I found them a few days ago, but was reluctant to put them on the Model 28, because usually I don't like the way "new" grips look on "old" guns. New grips are usually shiny and stick out on an old gun like a sore thumb. I went ahead and tried them last night, and was surprised that the dull finish on both the gun and grips seemed to compliment each other. As a bonus, they fit this gun better than they had the other gun I tried them on.

·
Registered
19,890 Posts
The Altamonts look better. I have some Pachmyers and the do work well if shooting a lot. However, wood still looks best to me.

·
Registered
20,892 Posts
I've had both Pach's and Hogue rubber grips on a lot of guns. I like Hogue's better for shooting, because they fit my hand better. I do like Altamont and Hogue wood grips for looks though. ;) Bob

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Always a rigid material for my grips. Wood preferably. I shoot it better and I find it more comfortable and yea .. they look hot!! :)

I have tried several times to like rubber grips and it never happens.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts