Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a funny question:

I completed my carry training class and am going to apply for CPL this week. The class was a lot of fun.

Since I bought my first carry & auto gun (M&P 40c) at end of Feb. I have practiced carrying it around at home in the holster. The thing is, I smell the gun cleaner all the time. Anyone else?

I suppose if a girl came up to me and said, "I really like your Hoppe's #9 cologne", I wouldn't have a problem with that. :D

But, has anyone ever complained about the aroma or "I know you're are carrying a gun becasue I can smell it"?

Dave

·
Super Moderator
10,862 Posts
I don't think it's any kind of problem. You are just hyper aware of it right now. Those few first times carrying are a real nervous time. I can remember thinking everyone must know I have a gun on me. Resist the urge to keep checking it with your hand, that's a dead giveaway. After a while it becomes second nature but it takes a bit of time to get to that point. Good luck!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Just be yourself and don't act differently when you have it. That goes for clothes too.

Now if that gun does stink and somebody smells it, tell them it's that dead bird you picked up off your porch, or even better it's my stinky feet... :mrgreen:

Seriously, nobody will ask that, except Rin Tin Tin the police dog.

·
Registered
19,832 Posts
I stopped using Hoppe's #9 quite awhile ago. There are plenty of gun cleaners out there, and they are also superior. Right now, I am using Clean-Bore #10. (Catchy name!!! :roll: ) It has less smell then Hoppe's. (Isn't Hoppe's just plain old Kerosene?)

I like CLP the best, but I only see it in the spray can. It is available in a jar.......if you can find it! Bob

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses. Especially forming my daily attitude when I start to carry. They say it'll take about 2 months to get the license in metro Detroit (Wayne County).

I have used Clean-Bore #10 before on my revolvers. I don't have any right now. I'll look for some and compare.

I'm not making a big deal about it but was just curious about how to limit the aroma. I never cared about it before, for just hunting and target shooting. It's just I know that women have good sniffers and notice stuff that guys wouldn't care about. Don't need comments out in public.

I appreciate the comments on this slightly less important topic, especially about my demeanor.

In class they talked about "Brandishing" being illegal, I just don't want to have any problems. I kind of doubt that smelling a gun is brandishing. Anyway......

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
WG90,

Seriously, yes others can smell solvents like Hoppe because of the ammonia in the mixture...

Dogs that are trained to sniff out certain substances can hit on firearms as well.

I use rem-oil or clp, any low odor oil works for me, even 3 in 1 light machine oil...

Su Amigo,
Dave

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Dave

I think part of the problem is that I've cleaned this new M&P 40c 3 times in last 3 weeks, and probably cleaning more than needed. This is my first autoloader. Well.... I have shot it 3 times, as well!

I'll check out the suggestions here and start refining my cleaning process.

I think I could get away with just swabbin' the bbl, if I only shoot a few rounds. The rest of the gun seems to stay pretty clean. Over 100 rounds I'm sure to thoroughly clean it.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
753 Posts
I use Breakfree and apply it light for carry. Don't over do the oil or it will run out on your shirt. CLP doesn't smell either from the bottle. However that can stinks !

·
Registered
406 Posts
I figure anyone close enough to me to smell any solvents should already know I'm carrying. I'd consider anyone else that close to be invading my " personal space " and they better be backing up.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
The general public is not as smart as some think.

They're too busy tex-ing, talking on cell phones or thinking about what's next on their agenda.

If they were paying attention to "situational awareness" they'd notice "concealed" full length shotguns on folks wearing long black trench coats in 90 degree weather entering malls to spray and pray...

The few that do notice are too far into "denial" to react at all. :roll:

·
Registered
19,832 Posts
Hey!!! :eek: Maybe that's why nobody ever gives me any chit!!! And I always thought I looked kinda tough. :roll: :lol: Bob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts