Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is possibly hypothetical: if something were to 'happen' with no warning (quite common), nobody in my family or friends wants any of my handguns, other than to sell for cash: also have two Sig P6, P225 ('87), Walther P99 and CZ PCR.
This context is provided because all of them are DA/SA (the P99's first shot can be either type) and...

* the others have no mag safeties.

The chance that the next owner of my 5906 would even Know about the original mag safety function could be slim to zero, and the totally unfamiliar shooters might think that the mag in the gun makes it safe...."mag. safety"....

Possibly leaving the safety in could prevent a tragic mistake.
> What's the typical perspective for those who have no idea who will own their guns, unless they are sold while you are still healthy and rational?<< I'm 64 and healthy.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
I cannot for any reason find any reason to remove a device that has proven to SAVE LIVES. LEAVE IT WORKING!!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've owned a number of 2nd. and 3rd. Gen S&W semi-autos, and carried one in LE. I've never found the magazine safety to be a detriment. I can't speak for others, but I have never removed a magazine safety from any of my S&Ws.......ymmv

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't remove them. I have a double handful of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen and they all work alike. I even had to replace the safety on one of my acquisitions. Mostly I shoot at paper and steel but often one of the autos will be the ccw and I need them all to work the same...

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Under no circumstances do you remove the mag safety.. I spent 42 years on Law Enforcement and carried the model 39 59 659 and 669 extensively . I am also a Master Fire Arms Instructor. First the ability to remove the magazine and have the gun rendered safe is a great plus to a civilian with small children or uneducated adults . The magazine being removed renders the gun non operable the gun can be placed and the the magazine kept on the owners person. To make the gun ready to shoot just re incert the magazine. Next several documented cases in life and death struggles with the 59 series pistols officer have been able to hit the mag release and the mag drop out making the gun inert during the fight .. Never defeat any safety ALSO The 59 series pistols the slide mounted decocker is no considered a safety . It s a safey way to lower the hammer and to load the pistol without the hammer contacting the firing pin...

Removing mag safety was done in Browning High Powers to help in making the trigger better and only done in competition pistols ..

·
Registered
609 Posts
I do not like magazine safeties, mostly because some of my guns have them and some don't and it's a pain to remember which is which. The only one that has been removed, though, is the one on my Ruger Mark IV Lite and that removal was part of installing the Volquartsen accurizing kit. The rest stay as they came from the factory even though they are irritating. Anyway: That gun is a range toy only.

Note that Hubby and I are old, with no kids around at all even to visit so there is no practical reason for us to leave the mag safeties in the guns. We just do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts