Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a proud senior, new to the sport and have been looking for the Right gun for my needs. Found a new S&W M&P Shield EZ 9mm at at a local shop and was just about to buy the gun when I decided to think about it for a week or so. Thats when I discovered (via this forum) that the gun has been recalled due to some serious defects as the gun can self fire. S&W says "only a few bad, return gun & we fix".

I really like the gun but the big queston is, if the gun is part of the recall and it is fixed, can I Trust the gun to be safe for my occasional use?

·
Premium Member
13,673 Posts
I do not like the EZ design in any of their implementations. Too many issues and problems, including students that have had brand new ones jam at the range in my classes. Others here have them and like them, but I do not.

Look for a full size or compact M&P 9mm or a regular shield in 9mm. Either version 1 or 2 of either gun would be an excellent choice. Sometimes law enforcement surplus returns are available used at excellent prices.

Right now demand is high and so are prices. Ammunition is in short supply and expensive too.

Reactions: Mac23 and TTSH

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I agree with @mrerick -- I have the Shield .380 EZ and although it is a fun gun to shoot, it had a lot of problems. My particular gun "stovepiped" the last round of a magazine , meaning you are done shooting until you clear the gun and insert a new magazine. Others have had other feeding and ejection problems. My gun seems to be working fine now but I will never trust it for self defense.

From what all I've read about the 9mm version, it has even more problems. I would try a lot of different guns to find one that is reliable, fits your hands, and is "pleasant" to shoot.

If you are only going to use your new gun for range "plinking" fun, an EZ is fine. If you have any idea of using it for self defense, whether carry or home SD, find one that is known to be reliable.

One of my friends was seriously considering the 9mm EZ until she read all of the threads about it here and on other forums.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't buy an "EZ" Shield and I am as hideously old, decrepit and handicapped as it gets. The day I can only load and shoot a handgun purposely made and marketed for women and weak old farts is the day I give up the hobby. And none of this has to do with my general dislike of plastic wonder guns. I wouldn't buy it if it were all metal either. 😎

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
I have a full sized M&P and a compact, both in 9mm. I also have a first gen Shield in 9. All three are great pistols. I continue to be very pleased at how easy to shoot and control the Shield, especially for such a small, lightweight gun. Buy one of the standard guns and prepare to be happy.

·
Registered
475 Posts
My Dad really likes his 9EZ. His was not on the recall list. He has difficulty with his hands but says that it's easy to rack the slide, easy to load the mags, has been reliable and shoots well. I bet you can go to your local shop and do a S/N search on a cell phone to see if that particular firearm is on the recall list.
I really like the gun but the big queston is, if the gun is part of the recall and it is fixed, can I Trust the gun to be safe for my occasional use?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I am a proud senior, new to the sport and have been looking for the Right gun for my needs. Found a new S&W M&P Shield EZ 9mm at at a local shop and was just about to buy the gun when I decided to think about it for a week or so. Thats when I discovered (via this forum) that the gun has been recalled due to some serious defects as the gun can self fire. S&W says "only a few bad, return gun & we fix".

I can't speak to the EZ Shields, and as you said there is a recall for some of them. However, I really like my Shield 9 mm, 1.0. Those are still able to be found for $350 on Gunbroker, new. I got mine barely used for $275. The 2.0 ones are more expensive in store though. I'm seeing $450 and up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I want to say Thank You for your thoughtful replys. I have spoken to the locak B&M shop and have told them to determing it the gun I was reviewing was indeed part of the recall and let me know. If the gun is to be recalled I asked him to let me know when it has been retuned and what changes, if any, were made by S&W. Once I know the status of this specific gun I will have to decide to buy it or not. I really like the features as I have occasional bouts of pain in my hands and an easy pull would be appreciated.

While I wait I will see if I can find a CZ P-09 or CZ P10 and a Ruger Security 9 and it so I will give them a try. Perhaps they will offer a good alternative to the EZ . Thanks Again

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I got a March build, was not part of the recall. Mine has almost 700 rounds through it and I haven't had a single issue.
Accurate and reliable with a really good trigger. My wife also has the .380 EZ and no issues with it either.

Get the serial # for the one at the shop and run a check yourself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts