Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all of my wheeling and dealing lately, I have put some money aside for the new baby, but I also have quite a bit left for one last purchase before the baby is born next month. Right now I have the money for one gun, and one only. My choices are, a Model 29-2 in absolutely mint condition, pinned and recessed, blued finish, 6 inch barrel, presentation box, target stocks, white outline sight, red ramp front, target hammer and trigger. Not even a turn line in the cylinder. $600-
Or, a Smith & Wesson 1st Model HE Triple Lock in .44 Special. 6 1/2 inch barrel, the nickel finish is flaked off in spots, about 85% on the frame and cylinder, much less on the barrel. The bore is real nice with a very small spot of pitting. The grips are not original, the action is well, like those old Smith Actions always were, smooth. $1100-
I had planned on having S & W renickel the Triple Lock eventually, as I like shooters I am glad the gun is not mint.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Dave, hard choice in some regards. With the model 29-2, you have a very versatile and accurate handgun. On the other hand, you have a chance to own a piece of history.

Now I have a Triple Lock, but I had a 29-2 long before I had the Triple-Lock; if that is of any help.

Hank

·
Registered
276 Posts
Dave, that is a hard choice, I've never owned a triple lock & have always wanted one I have owned 29s as you describe. As a practical purchase I'd probably go with the 29, but I think nostalgia would force me into the triple lock. I'm like you I like shooters I'd go with the triple lock. Tough choice. Frank

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
The triple lock is a true collectors gun. The model 29-2 is a pretty common gun but not at that price.Personaly I would buy the model 29 and rat hole the remaining amout the triple lock would cost and add to it as I looked for another triple lock.
But I cant resist a good deal if I have the money.
If a triple lock is your hearts desire then I would go for it and wait around for another good deal on model 29.But 600 for one in the shape you describe with the box and all is not a deal you will find very often.
I went seeking a model 57 and found five deals I felt I could not pass up bought every one of them and still dont have a model 57.So my advice may not be the best either.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
You'll get more use out of the 29-2.

Renickling any origional 85% New Century "Triplelock" is grounds for a public flogging. Smith & Wesson won't do it anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.