Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a 10-6 that the barrel needs replaced. Is it possible to put a barrel and cylinder from a 19-3 on the ole model 10-6 just kicking ideas around ? Thanks

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Due to the gun not originally having an underlug the profile of the front of the frame most likely won't meet up with the Model 19 underlug. Also being a magnum caliber the Model 19 cylinder may be longer. I'm thinking that sticking with Model 10 or 15 parts would make life a lot easier.

·
Registered
949 Posts
The model 13 was a .357 based on the model 10-6. It was in production for about 20 years with the last year being 1999. I measured my model 19 cylinder and it is indeed longer than my model 10-6. I suspect that the difference in length is compensated by the shorter forcing cone of the 19. It should be noted that a model 19 barrel might be rather difficult to find. If you want to make this conversion, it might be easier to find a model 13 cylinder and barrel.

·
Registered
23,436 Posts
Possible? Yes. Practical no. The cylinder would have to be shortened & timed, some lathe work need to be done to the barrel, etc.. It would be much cheaper to buy a Model 19. A replacement Model 10 barrel would need some work but much cheaper if it truly needs replacing. There are no drop-in parts except grips.

Reactions: StrawHat

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies and the help. Will probably go with the model 13 barrel and cylinder.. Makes more sense to go that route. Thanks again and will let you all know the results

1 - 5 of 5 Posts