Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a nice S&W 686, but was wondering about getting a 586. They look alike and seem to be alike but I know there must be a difference. Can anyone give me some info on this? It would be appreciated :)

Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
162 Posts
onenut58 said:
One is carbon steel the other is stainless steel
pzlehr... (and onenut58, if I may..) a tiny bit more detail. The 586 is constructed of carbon steel and available as blued or nickel plated. The 686 is constructed of stainless steel. Otherwise they are the same... Best Regards........ ;)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, OK. I always wondered because all I ever read about is 686's and how accurate they are. I have never read a range report of a 586 or much else. That would explain why I never saw a ss 586...duh! Thanks for explaining!

Chuck

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
onenut58 said:
When smith and wesson makes a stainless model they always put a 6 prefix on the model number.
'splain the 4566 :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
You got me there Azmick.Im no expert but try to answer questions when no one else does. Some one else is always welcome to correct me and wont get a argument out of me.I dont even know what a 4566 is.I just googled it and found out why. Its a semi auto and I have no interest in any of the mind boggling models of smith and wesson semi auots so I never bothered to learn any thing about them past the model 41 and the newer M&P.
But what bearing does this have on the revolver model numbers of there revolvers?

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
But what bearing does this have on the revolver model numbers of there revolvers?
none at all
but with all things S&W, never say never
the 500 and 460 come to mind though

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm no expert either, but as I recall, way back in the day S&W changed the numbering system so that a 4 prefix was aluminum(eg 439 auto), 5 was steel(eg 586), and 6 was stainless eg 686, 659 auto.) At some point with the autos they went to a 4 digit system that was fudged. The material became the suffix, sometimes the caliber came as a prefix, sometimes an old model no. was the prefix (4506, 4006, 5906, 6904 etc.) I believe the third digit was used to describe trigger action (traditional DA/SA, DAO) but thats where I really start to loose it!

Is a 4566 a .45ACP, DAO alloy frame auto? If not, I give up too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts